Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HEIC Bug: Non Adobe Software is needed to open HEIC files when exporting to PDF

Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sammy_yo_wammy_0-1667339209587.png

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Seems that InDesign on Windows is still not working properly with HEICs. Worked fine on MacOS.

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's my installed software and OS info for reference:

sammy_yo_wammy_0-1667339980099.png

sammy_yo_wammy_1-1667340016453.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you're quite out of date with Windows but that's not the issue. It's going to cost you $0.99 to add HEIC capability to Windows. 

This is about Windows 11 but it works with Windows 10 as well. https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/open-heic-files-windows-11

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for clarifying! I wrongly assumed that the new InDesign update would include the HEVC codec. I was also able to circumvent the $1 (just seems wrong for Microsoft to charge for a common codec, but I'll save that for MS forum). Per this article from HowToGeek, I was able to get a free version of the codec by pasting this url into my browser:

ms-windows-store://pdp/?ProductId=9n4wgh0z6vhq

This free version can't be found using search feature in the Store, but it is still made by Microsoft. In addition, I installed this plugin. I'm now able to export PDFs from InDesign containing HEIC images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, I would have thought by now that Microsoft would have just built it into the O/S. I'm glad you're up and running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines