• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hello, I have a problem because I don't know how to lower the chapter title to 1/3 of the page with

New Here ,
May 08, 2024 May 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to do this without lowering the text frame, preferably using a paragraph style so that it starts on a new page each time and is located on 1/3 of the page
TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like to do this by using a combination of negative baseline shift and space-after in the chapter title paragraph style.

Others will tell you to use an invisible rule above, and check the option to keep it inside the text frame, but that system has more disadvantages (even if it is more common, perhaps), than my simple suggestion above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found large amounts of baseline shift to be glitchy for anything but a simple one-and-done print layout. Most such brute-force methods bite back in unexpected ways, especially in most forms of export.

I prefer the rule-above method, as mentioned —

JamesGiffordNitroPress_0-1715199780869.png

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.1 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Szymon37269655sl6a

Select TextFrame, Ctrl+B, Top margin / inset. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that and the even simpler "grab the text frame margin and yank" - or create a parent page with that lower margin. (Also, OP says they want to avoid this...)

I do prefer the solutions that will reflow.

And do wish Adobe would add a simple "respect top spacing" style option...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[...] 

I do prefer the solutions that will reflow.

[...] 

By @James Gifford—NitroPress

I just assumed, that as this is a Chapter Title - most likely it will be the 1st TextFrame of the thread. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Books quite often have multiple chapters in a single text flow. You can't count on them being on either a physical or defined "page one." And when not chapter headings, some major section headings might need the same spacing. It gets to be a real PITA when done with hard page/frame alterations.

Why ID did not have this feature from the outset is one of the greater mysteries. It's not exactly... uncommon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Make a large Rule Above, set it to your desired height (300 pt +/-), Adjust the Offset so the type is below the rule, change the rule color to None. Save Style.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines