• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HELP!!How To Layout Pages With 3 Hole Punch

New Here ,
Aug 06, 2009 Aug 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating a 100 page catalog and will be printing on both front and back sheets.  I need to adjust my master pages to include holes for the 3 hole punch paper it will be printed on.  I can't find an answer anywhere!!! Please help!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just go to the master and change the margins...I'm not sure what else you're looking for, but if you designed the live pages according to those margins everything should adjust automatically.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BobLevine wrote:

but if you designed the live pages according to those margins everything should adjust automatically.

Bob, I am missing something? If I adjust the margins on the master page, what things automatically adjust to the new margins. Even a master text frame needs to be manually adjusted to conform to the new margins.

After seeing Peter's post, "Layout Adjustment" is what I am missing.

Message was edited by: Jeffrey_Smith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you aren't happy with the Layout adjustment option (I seldom am), there's a useful "Adjust Layout" script which works far better IMO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two sided douments are usually set up as "Facing Pages." In the document setup make sure you set the "inside" margin wide enough to accomodate the holes.

If your document is already set up as single pages you can use that, so long as the margins are symmetrical and wide enough, or you can go back to Documetn setup and change to facing pages. If you do that, you will need to go to the master page and chang ethe options so the page count for the master is 2 instead of 1, and then under the Layout menu choose margins and columns to adjut the margins on the master as required. If you've alreay laid out pages, enable "Layout Adjustment" (also under the Layout menu) before changing the margins and anything snapped to the existing margins should adjust to the new ones. You may also need to adjust the postions of elemnts on the master pages to mirror, and you'll need to put all of the content onto both halves of the master spread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already have facing pages with sufficient margins set up.  What i want to see on the pages are the actual position of the holes.  My document is a standard 8.5x11" - the only thing i can think of doing is placing circles by hand (measuring an 8.5x11" sheet of paper and measuring the space between each hole.  However, that's pretty unprofessional and unreliable....Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you want ID to automatically know where you're going to have the holes in the paper? Sorry, that's not possible.

You'll need to draw them youself. I would suggest doing so with a non-printing attribute assigned to them.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, okay!

On your master pages set up a new layer and create the holes in the right place. When it comes time to print, delete or turn off the layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's unprofessional or unrelialble about that? The only thing un-reliable would be a mis-registration in the equipment, and that is independent of anything you do in ID, and is present in any job.

Make the holes non-printing as Bob suggested, or but them on their own layer so you can turn them off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess what i was asking is if there is something like document setup (us letter,us legal, etc if i could have a hole punched sheet. I guess not.  I thought the location of the hole punch like for 3 ring binders was always in the same position.

Thanks for all your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could definitely set up your own template with those elements on it.

3-hole punch, cerlox bound and spiral bound could come in handy if you do a lot of work like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this issue a lot with supplied files that customers do not build with an adequate margin and content would get drilled through. I placed the attached file on a layer, make it non-print, flip for the back and send a PDF back to customer showing the problem areas. One thing to consider, there are various hole sizes, and sometimes custom layouts for the placement of holes, so this template may not work for all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been through this many times in several similar situations. The solution that I use currently  is to start over again and layout the page or MP using guides to display the column with the 3 holes and then layout the page in the remaining area. When you print the book the area to punch the holes will be blank unless you place a visible margin or any other content. Or place small images to demonstrate where the holes will be punched.

A good way to visualise this is to look at a notebook that has holes punched. Set 1 guide as a first margin to allow for the holes. Then layout the page in the remaining area. Create 2 master pages. 1 for the odd sides and 1 for the even sides. If your current content falls into the margin area, then you will need to layout the content over again within the new content area. ID will not do this for you unfortunately (I foolishly tried this a long time ago and learned a painful lesson). Since you lose about 1" +/- on the page (for the holes), your content layout will need to change and ID has no way of knowing your layout intentions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2024 Apr 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like somethjign super basic, because that's a lot of valuable realestate on the left side of the margin going to waste because of holes. Holes are always going to be in the exact same place regardless of paper size, these are industry standards in binders and books that put the rings in the exact same places. It should be in-built into any good desktop publishing program. I'm surprised how must pushback you seem to be getting. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2024 Apr 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum. However, you should note you've replied to a 15 year old topic here. 🙂

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.1 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2024 Apr 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As James mentions, this is 15 years old and I'm locking it to avoid any more confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines