• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HELP! I can't see any of my InDesign files even though the program is open!

Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am completely desperate. My InDesign (version 2021) suddenly decided to not show any of my files eeven though the program is open. I cant see the "opening act" only the toolbars...

I tries to shut down InDesign and restart with ctrl, shift, opt, cmd - nothing! I tried to unnstall Indesign and reinstall... nothing, I tries to delete large files on the computer to free some space... nada.

Can somebody please help me, how can I solve this problem?

Thank you.  

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

FIXED, finally! What worked for me: UNCHECK Application Frame (Window > Application Frame). This appears to be a default setting with this update. After disabling it I can now view my documents, workspace, homescreen — everything that was invisible before.

Hope this helps others wrestling with this problem since the update!!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you said it happens for ALL InDesign files, I would try restoring your preferences and caches (which aren't restored if you reinstalled):

Adobe InDesign: Rebuilding Preferences and Cache Fileshttps://www.rockymountaintraining.com › adobe-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THank you but nothing is happening here... maybe it helps if I install and older version of Indesign? I have no idea what triggered this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which OS version and how much RAM and spare hard disk capacity do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Thank you for your time:

Mojave and check out the capasity detached (screen shot)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much RAM and spare disk capacity?

spec.png

Screenshot 2021-08-09 at 13.53.56.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 16 GB Ram. Also, I just delteted allot of files and I am down to half the capasity, so 250 GB of  500GB.

I sent a file to the printer, and he also had problems with seeing the file! Although we both managed to eksport it to pdf! So strange...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you certain you reset your InDesign preferences – here's a double check:

1) Close InDesign
2) Double click on Adobe InDesign's icon to launch it
3) QUICKLY hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift. (for Windows) or CTL+OPT+CMD+Shift (for Mac OS X)
4) When a dialogue appears, asking you “Delete InDesign Preference Files?” Click Yes.

(If you don't see the question do it again.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thank you so much for your suggestion, but I already tried this solution several times. Still nothing... and I cant find any other solutions either. 

Also I uninstalled and installed the software several times, and still no change. Never heard of this problem before...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help, we finally figured it out (((: 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you do not see the Welcome screen (Start workspace) at start up. Is it disabled maybe in Preferences?

But you can always choose File > Open, or hit Cmnd-O and simply naviagte to the folder you saved your files in to open them. You can even double click on a file to open it in InDesign.

Anyway, just make your Start workspace visible, menu right upper corner.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/workspace-basics.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/start-open-recent-files-workspace.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again, it is the files I cant see... it says its open, but nothing shows, I can even convert it to pdf, but I am doing this not even knowing what the file looks like... really strange...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hedda, did you find a solution? If so, please share!!

I'm having the same trouble viewing documents with v16.3.2, with the same lack of results for the common solutions (restart, uninstall/reinstall app, delete prefs, run disk first aid, etc).  Deleting preferences has solved this problem for me until this update. 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FIXED, finally! What worked for me: UNCHECK Application Frame (Window > Application Frame). This appears to be a default setting with this update. After disabling it I can now view my documents, workspace, homescreen — everything that was invisible before.

Hope this helps others wrestling with this problem since the update!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ohhh my, I will try this ASAP!! Thank you! Crossing my fingers and toes now!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy moly HOW can I ever thank you enough!!!!!!

THAT was the solution! But how did that happen? I am forever greatful for your wisdom and help! How can one know what to do?! Seriously...

I am so happy right now. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

oh, you're so welcome!!  crazy that it had to take so many hours of angst just to discover that simple fix, but it feels like magic to me right now! i had been scouring the boards for a solution and ran across the application frame setting as it related to a similar (though not exact) problem. thought i'd try it before getting into more aggressive measures!

anyhow, i'm not sure how it impacts folks who like that feature, but i can work now and will add it to my list of fixes after future updates. so happy to help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG NO! I have no clue how to fix this... 

what did you do with the preferences??? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines