• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help! I did the software update for Monterey, now my Indesign files open as READ-ONLY

New Here ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated my Mac OS to the latest version - Monterey 12.4. Currently, I'm using the newest version of InDesign 17.2.1. I'm the only one with access to my files, however now when I try and open a file or, create a new one, even when I save the file as an IDML, I keep getting an error message saying it is READ-ONLY. I have checked on my permission settings and it says Read & Write. Is anyone else experiencing this? Does anyone have a solution?
Thanks, Karen

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Recent versions of macOS introduce new kinds of permissions, to try and restrict the spread of malware. These are not the same kinds of permissions we have used before, so they are not in the same places to check.

@karenb46800370 wrote:

I keep getting an error message saying it is READ-ONLY. I have checked on my permission settings and it says Read & Write.

The place where it says Read and Write or Read-Only is the information window you see in the Mac Finder when you choose File > Get Info

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the Using the Community forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the InDesign forum so that proper help can be offered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You checked permissions, but did you repair them with the disk utility?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Creamer Training wrote:

You checked permissions, but did you repair them with the disk utility?

Apple removed the feature to repair permissions from Disk Utility several years ago, although I can’t remember in exactly which version of macOS. The feature became unnecessary as Apple made important folders more secure and less prone to corruption; Howard Oakley has covered this in some detail:

Should you ever repair permissions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recent versions of macOS introduce new kinds of permissions, to try and restrict the spread of malware. These are not the same kinds of permissions we have used before, so they are not in the same places to check.

@karenb46800370 wrote:

I keep getting an error message saying it is READ-ONLY. I have checked on my permission settings and it says Read & Write.

The place where it says Read and Write or Read-Only is the information window you see in the Mac Finder when you choose File > Get Info. That is an example of the old permissions, not the new ones. To adjust the new macOS permissions, follow the instructions in the Adobe tech article linked below. Now, I am not 100% sure this is the cause of your problem, but because it started after a major macOS upgrade, my guess is that it is. The article is for Adobe Lightroom Classic, but just apply the same steps for InDesign (or any other Mac application that gives you the same trouble).

Quick Tips: How to give Full Disk Access to Lightroom Classic on macOS

Then let us know if that fixed it.

Related: If, after the macOS upgrade, you were asked if you wanted to grant permission to certain folders for InDesign, but Don’t Allow was clicked, that could cause this problem. Again, the example below is not InDesign, but it’s an example of how you may be asked for any Mac application.

FastRawViewer-permissions-removable-volume.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Conrad C --I was using outdated terminology (from memory--always a dangerous combination) but that is what I was referring to. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU!  The problem seems to be fixed now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines