• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HELP! Indesign files are reverting to previously "Saved aAs" documents

New Here ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently created a 10 page document based on an existing file and did a save as. I spent hours on this document. Once i closed it and reopened it an hour later, it opened up as the old original document is was based on!! I went to open other documents that were created in this way and they all were old files!! what the heck. This is a HUGE problem.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you overwrote your previous document. It's important to double check your document before doing too much work on it and incremantally naming and saving it regularly so you can revert to an earlier version if necessary. Also, save copies externally, as well as locally, so you can access your files if something happens to your computer. Belt and braces.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't. I actually opened the document i based it on, and saved it with a new name. Infact i opened passed docs that I created this way, and they all reverted to the intial document. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of InDesign and OS?
Have you tried resetting the InDesign preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OS Big Sur v 11.5.2

Adobe InDesign v 16.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i actually found others (see link below) that are having the same issue as me!

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/39640816-suddenly-my-do...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The exact same thing is happening to me. I am on Mac Big Sur OS 11.6, running the latest CC InDesign. This morning, I opened the file and it was the OLD file I originally started with. I totally rebuilt the file, saved it; was having some spinning wheel issues, restarted -- it SHOWS the file was saved right before I restarted -- but the OLD file from yesterday opens up!!!! This is a MAJOR issue for me as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree! This bug can potentially wipe out hundreds of files i have created based on others i have "Saved As". This is a MAJOR MAJOR flaw that needs immediate attention before it does major harm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Do you still see similar behavior with the app?  Are these files saved on a network drive? Have you tried resetting preferences? If not, then please try doing that & let us know if that helps.
If it doesn't, Would it be possible for you to share the device information & preference files with us? This information would help us assist you accordingly.

We are looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just happened to me as well. 5.5 hours working on detailed proposal edits. Saved it, left it open overnight and went to bed. Woke this morning all my work was completely gone and the file was reverted to an older version of the file. I'm working/saving locally, not to the Cloud. I have no idea how CC/InDesign can take so much control of my computer to do this - otherwise it seems like a virus because I cannot figure it our or risk losing work like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey if anyone finds a solution for this, please share. This just happened to me on a 48 paged book with 8 hours of work put into it that I have to completely redo. 

I guess the only thing I can do is hardcore save a ton of versions of it to protect my work. 

This is an issue that shouldn't actually exist two years after the original post. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's always wise to incrementaly save versions of your work – name1a.indd, name1b. indd and so on. Also, keep copies externally as well as locally (in case something happens to your computer).

If you've been working on a document for a long time, occasionally save it as an IDML file to clear out the crud that builds up and that can cause a document corruption. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also if you work out of your User>Creative Cloud Files folder, the files you save to that folder will automatically sync to your web cloud account. The cloud account keeps incremental saves of a file in the Timeline, so you can retrieve any saved version of the file for the past 30 days. I just saved this example 3 times and the 3 versions are accessible from my account:

Screen Shot 10.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just happened to me too! This is so frustrating, especially it happen right before deadline. I finished my work long time ago and now it's almost blank. I manually save my file every 30 min, still did not prevent this from happening. This is not acceptable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No back-up copies?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the FULL name of the folder you've saved your file in? 

Which platform / full version of the OS? 

Do you use any kind of synchronisation software? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2023 Jun 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me this morning. Yesterday I had over a quarter of the work completed and this morning it was all blank. 

But I was able to do this to get it back. I know that this option doesn't always work, but I'm very thankful that it did this morning. 

I went to file and found the Revert button and I got everything back! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2023 Jun 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the problem is with Mac platform only?

Then it has nothing to do with InDesign... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2023 Jun 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, actually, I'm using a windows. And it has happened to me twice so far while using windows. There are a few other people in my department who use Macs and it has happened to them as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2023 Jun 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Never had this problem... 

Where those affected files are stored? Locally or remotely? Can you show full path? 

And do you make backups of your files? 

At least, at the end of the day, after you close InDesign - select your INDD file, hit Ctrl+C then Ctrl+V - Windows will take care of the incremental number of the copy. 

The best, of course, would be to copy it to a different folder - especially on a server.

And if you do a lot of changes during the day - do this copy&paste more often. 

And then, how often are you doing Save As with a new name - to clean up the file, get rid of the inaccessible undo history? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines