• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help! Same font setting but different outcome between Illustrator and InDesign CS6

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need urgent help!

I have a brand guideline for a letterhead for my company.

I have created the letterhead in Illustrator but the vendor prefers InDesign. So using the same guidelines, the text size in InDesign appears larger than the text in Illustrator. Even the 'Space after paragraph' is different between the 2 programs.

Why is that so and how do I solve this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

So using the same guidelines, the text size in InDesign appears larger than the text in Illustrator. Even the 'Space after paragraph' is different between the 2 programs.

Are you seeing the difference when you print or is it only when you compare the pages at the 100% zoom view? InDesign and Acrobat use a different magnification scale than Illustrator and Photoshop. The 100% view in InDesign shows the print output size. In Illustrator the 100% view is the 1:1 ratio of image to monitor pixels.

Equa

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to InDesign forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide screen captures from both Illustrator and InDesign showing the font settings you are using in each application.

You'll need to post screen captures in the InDesign forum attaching them to the message with the Insert Image icon in the editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So using the same guidelines, the text size in InDesign appears larger than the text in Illustrator. Even the 'Space after paragraph' is different between the 2 programs.

Are you seeing the difference when you print or is it only when you compare the pages at the 100% zoom view? InDesign and Acrobat use a different magnification scale than Illustrator and Photoshop. The 100% view in InDesign shows the print output size. In Illustrator the 100% view is the 1:1 ratio of image to monitor pixels.

Equal text sizes should print the same out of the two applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve and Rob,

I'm having this problem of font sizes not matching between Illustrator and InDesign. Font size in Illustrator is 70 pt. When I bring the Illustrator file into InDesign to match the size the font would need to be larger than 100pts to match. See screen shot.
I'm bringing in the Illustrator file at 100% scale — meaning I'm not enlarging the Ai file within Id.

Thanks,

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Creative Ki , is your Illustrator Display Print Size at 100% Zoom checked?

Screen Shot 39.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for getting back, Rob.
Yes, my Display Print Size in Illustrator is set just like you have it in the screenshot.
As you can see from my screenshot, Illustrator type is set at 70pts. I import the AI file into InDesign at 100%. But to match the font size in InDesign I need to set it at 120pts.

Thanks,

Michael

CreativeKi.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the ID and AI files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. Here you go.

Font is Proza Libre
https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Proza+Libre?query=Proza

Thanks!

M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the imported Ai file.

(Not sure why the Ai file won't attach.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep trying to attach the .ai file but it doesn't seem to be working. It's a small file size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can share a folder of files via your CC account. Put the files in your user>Creative Cloud Files folder, let the files sync, then right click the folder, choose View on Website, and click the share icon at the top of the file list to get the URL address

Screen Shot 16.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, thanks for your replies! I did noticed that on-screen. Even at 100% the size is different. So I printed out and compare, it is the same. Thank goodness! Solved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines