• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help! Struggling to open InDesign artwork I was able to access last year

Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, its the first time I have sent a request for help here. Hope you all can help me please. 🙂

I have an InDesign project which I havent opened since last year. The file isn't opening and I am wondering if this is because it was produced in an older version of InDesign. Could this be possible?

When on the app I selected to open an older version. It says it will apply the older version spec to all my current InDesign files. I am worried my new work will possibly be adapted from this change. 

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

No. You are in the main level Library preferences. If you follow the instructions I posted carefully then you should be seeing this:

PREFS.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing to add. I have clicked on other InDesign files and some are opening but a majority are not opening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Current / latest version of the InDesign should be able to open all documents created in older versions - as long as file isn't corrupted. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Old documents should always be openable with the current version. Check your files to make sure that they have either an .indd or IDML suffix in their names. If this is happening with all or most of your documents then first try resetting your preferences. This will return the program to its defaults which hopefully will straighten things out.

To do so:

For Macintosh Users: The User Library folder in which InDesign’s preferences are stored is hidden by default on most Macintoshes. To access it make sure that InDesign is closed and click on the desktop to launch a Finder Window (Command-N). With this window in column view follow the path User>Home folder (it’s the folder with an icon that looks like a house—it may have the user’s name rather than “Home”) and click on the Home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. “Library” will now appear within the Home folder. Within the Library folder find the folder called Preferences and within it find the folder called “Adobe InDesign” and the file called “com.adobe.InDesign.plist” and delete both that folder and that file. When InDesign is next launched it will create new preference files and the program will be restored to its defaults.

For Windows Users: You can try the quick way of resetting on a PC which is to hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift when launching InDesign and respond affirmatively when asked if you want to reset. There have been some recent reports that the window asking if you want to reset is not popping up but that the prefs are being reset anyway. If this works great but if it doesn’t you may have to manually delete them.

To do so: On Windows 7 and above the preference files are hidden. To find them go to the Control Panel and open Folder Options and then click the View tab. Then select “Show hidden files and folders” or “Show hidden files, folders or drive options” in Advanced Settings. Then delete (or rename) the folder at the end of this path: C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\<Version #>\<Language>. Make sure that InDesign is closed when you do this. When you relaunch the program it will create new preference files and the program will be at its default settings.

The advantage of manually deleting preference files is that after you’ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, you can create copies of your personalized “mint” preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying them—that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Bill. I will give this a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill, These 2 files are not on the list within the Preferences folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're on a Mac then the files have to be there. Make sure that you are in the User Library as described in my first paragraph of instructions. If you still can't find them then please post a screenshot showing what you do see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2022-08-11 at 03.11.01.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Bill. Am I in the correct area?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. You are in the main level Library preferences. If you follow the instructions I posted carefully then you should be seeing this:

PREFS.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you try to open those files? Do you get an error message? An alert?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Robert Tkaczyk said: "Current / latest version of the InDesign should be able to open all documents created in older versions - as long as file isn't corrupted. "

FWIW: Or as long as it was not created from an early prerelease version of InDesign.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines