• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help with book page numbering in InDesign!

Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a bunch of documents that I created and I've pulled them all into a book file because that's been the easiest way for me to produce a large booklet and have the page numbering flow correctly. However, in the book file menu, I've set the Book Page Numbering Options to "continue from the previous document" but for whatever reason, it's not responding. It acts like it is, but the pages in each section start back at page one. I've done this a bunch of times so I don't know what I'm missing. My preferences are set to section numbering (not absolute numbering) and I'm just puzzled why this particular book isn't working. My others all seem to work fine. Help!??

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Make sure that each individual InDesign document is set to "Automatic Page Numbering" in the numbering and section options. If it is set to "Start Page Numbering at" this would cause the problem that you are experiencing.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you gone into the book menu to update numbering? It could be that the book is set to not update the documents until you tell it to (this is useful to prevent having to wait for the whole book to reflow each time you make a document change)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the book file menu, I've set the Book Page Numbering Options to "continue from the previous document" but for whatever reason, it's not responding. It acts like it is, but the pages in each section start back at page one.  Am I missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I've been playing with this and I went back in to each individual document and had to set the layout for page numbering as as continuous in each document. I thought that, in the past, that happened when I added them to a book file and changed the preferences there, but apparently I remembered incorrectly! No excuses - it's 2017 ... Yikes! Thanks all for checking!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure that each individual InDesign document is set to "Automatic Page Numbering" in the numbering and section options. If it is set to "Start Page Numbering at" this would cause the problem that you are experiencing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, sir! I just did that. Simple, I know ... but I thought I'd covered all my bases. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please help 🙂 I'm having the same problem and tried doing a fresh new sample book with just 2 separate documents and adding them to indb. the pages are correct but the display on the book panels all starts with 1 (and not continuous)  already pulling my hair out, desperately needs help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 01, 2022 Jan 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://creativepro.com/book-panel-shows-wrong-page-number-fixed/

Found the solution here, following the tip of another topic. 

Sounds like there is a preference that turns on by itself in the preferences pane, so cmd+k and turn from absolute numbering to section numbering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2022 Jan 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It wasn't turned on by itself--preferences don't do that. In the text, it reads "I had (for no apparent reason) changed to Absolute Numbering at some point…".

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines