• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I apply different object paragraph styles to series of linked text boxes containing TOC?

Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a custom table of contents which produces just the page numbers of chapter page starts in a catalogue. On the contents page each page number from the TOC sits in a separate small text frame big enough to contain the page number, these text frames are linked.
Each text frame sits on top of an image. The images vary in colour. I can manually change the text colour where needed, but this is then overwritten when the TOC is updated. I would like to be able to format each linked text box so that text colour of each page number contrasts legibly with the image beneath and retains that formatting when TOC is updated.
I have tried setting up different object styles - using different text/paragraph colours, but the TOC 'Paragraph' specification overrides/prevents the paragraph styles applied in the 'Object' style being applied. The Object fill colour works okay when applied this way, but not the Object paragraph style.
Can anyone think of a solution?
MTIA Steve 

TOPICS
How to , Print , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Here is an awkward idea: do this with grep.

I can reproduce your problem, styling the toc and updating it, resetting the adjustments.

What worked is this:

• create a charater style with the color you want to use
  • edit the paragraph-style you use for toc
  • do something like…

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-03 um 09.19.20.pngBildschirmfoto 2020-06-03 um 09.19.30.png

Limitations are: when your toc-numbering changes, the greps must be adjusted. But you can use grep code for ranges, take a look at: https://indesignsecrets.com/topic/using-grep-to-select-a-number-range

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is an awkward idea: do this with grep.

I can reproduce your problem, styling the toc and updating it, resetting the adjustments.

What worked is this:

• create a charater style with the color you want to use
  • edit the paragraph-style you use for toc
  • do something like…

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-03 um 09.19.20.pngBildschirmfoto 2020-06-03 um 09.19.30.png

Limitations are: when your toc-numbering changes, the greps must be adjusted. But you can use grep code for ranges, take a look at: https://indesignsecrets.com/topic/using-grep-to-select-a-number-range

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DBLjan - thank you. That's a good 'work around', and better than my current one (I have made x2 identical tables of contents, one with black text, the other with white and overlay the suitable linked folio text box accordingly when the background is light). Fortunately I have the black folios on a separate layer, on top of the white folios, which can be removed easily.
The Catalogue is almost finished, I'll try the GREP character style - there shouldn't be too many page/folio changes from now on. Even if there are, modifying the GREP would be a much more efficient option).

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you able to post a screenshot of your toc as is? Since Im no native english speaker, im wondering what you meant with black and white "folios". Maybe i can imagine a bit more, what youre trying to do, and maybe theres an better option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a small section of the 'main' table of contents. Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 09.18.09.png
Sorry the term Folio coud be misleading = page number.
As you can see the background colour of the product images vary. In most cases a 'white' page number works well. However on a light background, a darker (I called it 'black' but it is 80% black) colour is required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always asked me, if I could config InD in such way, that the textcolor respects the background contrastwise. That, with the different blend modes, is not possible that easy.

As I saw your toc, and how much entries it has, i think GREP isnt the ideal method.

First I tried to mimic your toc, but I dont know if you place the images upfront and let your toc flow above them. Or are these images anchored in a textbox on the pages, set to 0% occupacy, and are generated as toc? Would be smart 🙂

But, trying whatsoever, I cant solve the text<>background thing just with blend-modes or text effects.

Maybe you can change that design to something, where you can use any color, like on a 70-80% occupied white box, or even a fancy outline.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-03 um 11.20.40.pngBildschirmfoto 2020-06-03 um 11.20.46.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't design the page so can't change the way it looks - thanks for the suggestions. The square images and product title text are all in a table, with the coloured line a table border. The page numbers are in linked text boxes on a separate layer above the table layer. I was disappointed that there is no way to apply a 'character style' within an 'objet style' - that would have solved the issue. I have never used 'blend modes', I will have to investigate. I think your GREP suggestion is a good one for what I have, and easy to update if a page number does change.

Many thanks, Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep in mind, maybe this is also a possibility: the chaptertext in TOC does carry over any overides done to text of that paragraph-style. Since you only use the numbering on a different layer, you could recolor the reference to white/darkgray. Dont know if it works without text to color, if only pagenum.

1. as is1. as is2. changing last character color2. changing last character color3. hiding the box3. hiding the box4. updated TOC, now in blue :-)4. updated TOC, now in blue 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good idea, sounds perfect, thanks. I'll give it a try.
These page numbers (only numbers) are on a hidden layer in the document, so I can colour them accordingly. What is better about this solution is that a couple of products appear in the contents list twice (they have optional fitting methods so they list in two different sections - with different images!
GREP wouldn't work then!
Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines