• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I make such edits without the disrupting the entire document in InDesign?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am laying out a 600 page book with 2 columns, 17 structured chapters. When I add or replace an image in a chapter, the entire document structure following the edit is disrupted, and shifts the contents, such that the content structure needs to be significantly corrected. Some column text now spans 2 columns, some columns seem to have jumped out of order, some column ports are terminal (no longer flowing to the next column, etc. 

How can I make such edits without the disrupting the entire document?

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
How to , InCopy workflow

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't. 

You can avoid situations when text drifts too much from the corresponding photos - if you anchor photos in the text - not place as InLine - but make them Anchored.

The extra breaks in the flow can happen if you force ParaStyle to start on next page / column - or when you insert in the text *break symbol - column, page, etc.

And if you have same text flowing through different TextFrames - with a different number of columns - you are toasted  😞 then you need to split your long Story into shorter / independent parts - and start those parts on a new page - then you'll just have to add blank pages at the end of a Story if needed.

Then you can also to split your 600 pages single doc - into 17 separate INDD files - Chapters - and use Book feature. 

▒► ID-Tasker / ID-Tasker Server - work smart not hard ◄▒

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's it. Once you create a long choo-choo train of elements that won't flow well from one point to another, every change will cause changes downstream. (To horribly mix metaphors, but never mind that.)

Other than using very meticulous styling and layout so that nothing (much) can flow into a bad location, the only option is what Robert suggested. Either break your contents into multiple Articles, so that each is placed and flowed only in their own, manageable set of text frames, or break them into separate INDD files and use the Book feature to integrate them into one document. Both approaches have some quirks and limitations, especially if you plan to do more than a completely visual, print production.

And all that said, very clean, organized style formatting will help keep the layout organized when it reflows. Things like paragraphs suddenly flowing across columns suggests that you're not using the most optimal style settings.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am guilty of using the Insert Page Break to start a new chapter or a new section. And I havn't been anchoring my images in place. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Page Break to force a chapter heading to a next page (usually next right/recto page) is perfectly acceptable practice.

And anchoring images is optional if you are doing print layout only; it takes a lot to allow images to move with the flow and not need to adjust the text and position anyway. It is essential for things like EPUB export, though.

Proper formatting — that would make touching up such changes a lot easier — is more keeping all page frames/layouts the same and using all Paragraph styles to let the text fit properly wherever it is. Depending on a "hard" page layout for chapter heads, image pages, etc. means that you will have broken layout when text flows differently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2023 Jan 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on breaking the layout into separate chapters and sections, so
they are in separate files. I want to target this book for print and epub,
so I guess I will not anchor the images.

Ron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But for epub it's essential to anchor - it won't make your life any harder when printing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, for EPUB you MUST anchor the images to the paragraph you want them to follow. Otherwise they all "fall off" and end up at the end of the document.

Here's a basic guide to EPUB from ID.

Using separate files and the Book feature will work better (for EPUB) than breaking one document up into Articles. You can do the latter, but it gets into some fussy technical stuff to get the articles to export in the right order.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify - by anchoring images we mean in text - not on the page, outside of the text.

There are options that can help you to keep images automatically in context of the anchored point so if your layout is a bit flexible - you won't have to move those images every time your text reflows.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/anchored-objects.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wisengwane, I do not understand your question at all. It seems to have no connection to Adobe (supermarket?). And anyway, we are not Adobe staff. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines