• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I remove the LETTER V from the Pages Panel?

Contributor ,
Sep 06, 2023 Sep 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened a very old catalog file that started with a single page on the right and then facing pages for the rest of the book.  I needed to remove 2 of the pages to make a front/back page flyer, and in doing so, I somehow made InDesign create a LETTER H (or V or whatever) in every other document I have.  I cannot figure out how to get rid of that.  When I click on Alternate Layout, it just says Create Alternate Layout and does not give me an option to delete one.  I just want that wording above the pages removed.  Anyone have any idea how to do this?  I know I must have just accidently clicked on something, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to undo it.  Thanks so much!

GS

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 06, 2023 Sep 06, 2023

Hi @Graphic Squirrel ,

there is nothing to worry about. You just discovered how InDesign is naming Alternate Layouts by default when you are creating a new document. Every InDesign document has at least one Alternate Layout. Even if there is only a single one. "V" stands for vertical and "H" stands for horizontal.

If you do not want to see that name, simply switch the view in the Pages panel.

From my German InDesign where I created a new document with one page in Letter format:

Bildschirmfoto 2023-09-06 um 19.28.08.png

Bildschirmfoto 2023-09-06 um 19.28.24.png

Regards,
U

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Graphic Squirrel ,

there is nothing to worry about. You just discovered how InDesign is naming Alternate Layouts by default when you are creating a new document. Every InDesign document has at least one Alternate Layout. Even if there is only a single one. "V" stands for vertical and "H" stands for horizontal.

If you do not want to see that name, simply switch the view in the Pages panel.

From my German InDesign where I created a new document with one page in Letter format:

Bildschirmfoto 2023-09-06 um 19.28.08.png

Bildschirmfoto 2023-09-06 um 19.28.24.png

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much!  It never occurred to me that this was a view rather than something much more complicated.  I right-clicked on the hamburger menu at the top right of the Pages Panel, scrolled down to View Pages, and clicked on Horizontal, then Vertical, and then By Alternate Layout.  Each changed the way the Panel displayed the individual pages.  Then I went back and clicked on the Vertical, and the LETTER H went away and just left the normal vertical row of pages.  Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines