Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how can i remove unwanted space from document when marging data

Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

space.png

Hi i have a problem with the spacing hope will get the solution . this spaceing coming because of the first text box when i going to marge then all data repeating accroding to the text box/frame. I want to remove and fix the space . How can i ? please reply.

Thanks

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Scripting , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your data in each record is the same size, you could fit the text frame that holds the placeholders to no larger than will fit in the frame. You could then set the space between records in the multiple-records layout to what ever looks good to you, and the spacing will be consistent. The problem is if you need more space for a larger record. For example, most of the records in your example have the bold entries at the top on three lines, but the first record has four. If you set the size of the frame to hold three lines, the first record will have overset text, and the last line wouldn't show. If you set the size of the frame to hold four lines, you will have extra space in the amount of the space that the fourth line would have occupied in each record.

To do this with Data Merge, you may have to manually move the merged frames into position

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the normal result of a multiple record data merge, bounding area is the same size for all records.

Here is a workaround suggestion that involves datamerge and then threading text with an ID plugin.

You will need 2 documents, one for the datamerge, the other for the layout. In the datamerge doc, create for single record. Create a document that will have the number of pages equal to the number of records. Then using Autostitch plugin found here this will combine all records into one threaded text frame that you will flow into your layout document with multiple columns and spaced equally between each record.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeffrey's suggestion will probably be good for your project, and if you need to format the data after it comes into InDesign, you can make paragraph styles that have as their next style the line that comes after. So, in your example, it looks like you have eleven lines in each record. You could have eleven styles, with the first style using the second style as it's next style, and the second with the third as it's next style. Each style can be unique, or can be based on a previous style to give you some flexibility. And when you're ready to apply the styles, you can select all of the text and right-click on the first style, and from the fly-out menu, choose "Apply [StyleNameHere] Then Next Style" and each line will be styled accordingly. Start with this:

Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 5.11.19 PM.png

…and you can get this:

Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 5.11.33 PM.png

…in one click.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Migintosh, with my suggestion, the formatting would take place in the first step of datamerge. The second step (using autostitch) will combine preformatted text into one frame, with a consistent space between records.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you mean i have to work on each pages again after marge the data? Its a 500+ pages document . do you know think the easy catalog process will work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by working on each page after data merge? My suggestion would have all text formatted, threaded, and if necessary, use "keep options" to keep an entry together within a page or column.

I don't think you are going to find a solution that does not require some interaction and tweaking, and is completely automated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

downloaded them but how can i install them ? No instalation file there 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are ReadMe files included that describe installing the 2 components: TextStitch and APID ToolAssistant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi can tell me the process pelase? thats relly will be heplful for me and how can i install the Autostitch plugin i tried but no instalation file there

Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks very close to a series of directories I did for a California insurance company. 

I set up an extremely efficient workflow by using VBA scripts in Excel to "message" the data, and the Em Software InData plugin to import the text directly using if/else statements. I was able to layout about 800 pages in an hour. 

Contact me if you are interested in more info (click on my profile name). 

image.png

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi can you tell me your process please? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@abbikash Attached is a breakdown of my workflow. Too detailed for an entire step-by-step, but it gives you the idea.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks like the result of a data merge using its multiple record feature, but I suspect the type was meant to be in a continuous textframe, much like a directory.

Data Merge can't do this directly, but with the help of some scripts, it can get there. I have produced a video over on Youtube outlining these methods: https://youtu.be/kTcvNQTYgrA

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines