• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I change the default margins in InDesign?

New Here ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I need to change the default 12.7mm margin in InDesign. I have tried to change it in preferences with no documents open but my default always pops up with 12.7mm. I have also tried to define a document in Document Presets but I'm not sure I've done that correctly. Any help much appreciated.

Laura

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Set up the measurements of your new document, then click on the Save New Document icon and name your document in the field that pops up.

Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 14.55.37.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save a preset and use that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, how do I do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set up the measurements of your new document, then click on the Save New Document icon and name your document in the field that pops up.

Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 14.55.37.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2018 Sep 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like this method of replacing the [Default] preset no longer works in InDesign (I'm currently running version 13.1). Somehow my customized [Default] preset went buh-bye... Probably when I updated.

Now when I attempt to replace it in the New Document window, I get some red error text that reads, "This name already exists" — and the Save Preset button is grayed out.

Preset already exists.png

I even get this same error message when trying to replace a preset that I created... So it's like you can't even modify and replace YOUR OWN presets now?!? This doesn't seem right. If any of you know the new way to do this, I'd really appreciate the info. I've searched the forums for about 15 minutes and just can't seem to find a current solution.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dvanmeg .

I would not try to save a new document preset, but to change the [Default] one.

That's working with my InDesign CC 2018.1 on Windows. Just tested that.

File > Document Presets >

From my German InDesign:

ChangingTheDefaultDocumentPreset.PNG

Dokumentvorgaben > "Document Presets"

I clicked "Bearbeiten…" just below the "New…" button.

Then my [Default] preset values are shown, "[Standard]" in my German InDesign, and I'm able to change the defaults and save it with "OK".

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much... Seems like File > Document Presets and then Edit is what I was looking for. Kind of odd they don't allow you to do this from the New Document dialogue anymore (at least not in my case), but whatever... At least it's still possible!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dvanmeg

v16.2.1

You've explained (and all the other contributors) something that's been really frustrating. And why can't you do this from the New Document dialogue?  I've been struggling with a CC library object – a boilerplate back page for a client template that always came out with 12.7mm margins despite saving with 14mm margins, and odd things like Inset Spacing for text frame borders not being the same as the one saved to the CC Library in the first place. But, fingers crossed, these may have been resolved with the new [Default].

Thanks to everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like this method of replacing the [Default] preset no longer works in InDesign (I'm currently running version 13.1). Somehow my customized [Default] preset went buh-bye... Probably when I updated.

It's working for me in the latest ID and OSX:

Click the Save icon in the New Document dialog and type [Default] with the brackets in Save preset

Screen Shot 6.png

Clicked Yes on the replace prompt

Screen Shot 7.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that's how I used to do it. What version are you running rob day, because I'm not seeing any updates available for 13.1 right now (running Mac OS 10.12.6). If you are indeed running something newer than 13.1, then it would seem they added that functionality back in... Which is nice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a document saved already as a template, can you still set new margins in Preset, and then put the name of your template doc in Save Preset As box? Or can you change margins in master pages?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Document Presets is definitely a great time-saver and I concur with Bob.

However to answer your original question, with all documents closed, go Page > Columns and Margins and set default margins there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Michael said:

"…I've been struggling with a CC library object – a boilerplate back page for a client template that always came out with 12.7mm margins despite saving with 14mm margins."

Hi Michael,

page information like margins cannot be saved with CC Libraries. It's only objects like text frames, graphic frames, graphic lines etc.pp. The page you see when you open a saved InDesign object from a library is always your default document's page.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines