• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I Get an in design CC epub file into Amazon's kindle?

Participant ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It used to be so easy to upload an epub file from indesign to amazon kdp, and the conversion to mobi would happen right there, within amazon. Now, apparently, Amazon is making one use kindle create, which makes one upload word docs, and use one of their templates. One has to recreate much of the styling, as well as place images anew. Don't even get me started on footnotes with hyperlinks! I used to be able to create an entire indesign book for print, and then save another copy of that book, and save it as an e-book. Now, one can't do that. It seems I have to create a whole new book just for kindle. Has anyone mastered this, or can set me straight?

TOPICS
EPUB , Import and export , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Guru , Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

You need Kindle Previewer: https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G202131170

Open your epub file with this app, It will be converted automatically to mobi file. Save it and upload it to KDP.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

ID supports both EPUB 2 and 3, and in both fixed (FXL) and Reflowable. All have their place (sometimes just for legacy support) but EPUB3/Reflowable is the only recommended path to Kindle.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Oct 08, 2021 Oct 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, “Mr. Nitro.“ Rants always appropriate when it comes to kdp
publishing. I can’t tell you how many times I have ranted rather than pull
my hair out.

--
*Karen McChrystal, MA*
Publisher/Editor-in-Chief
Hidden Springs Press
Santa Monica, CA
www.hiddenspringspress.com
https://mcchrystalmedia.wordpress.com/
www.sustainablelivinginstitute.org
Karen McChrystal | Facebook
www.amazon.com/author/karenmcchrystal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your ebook, you say to only use EPUB 3. Do you know if Indd CC 2022 exports to epub using epub3? If not, how can I find out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ID supports both EPUB 2 and 3, and in both fixed (FXL) and Reflowable. All have their place (sometimes just for legacy support) but EPUB3/Reflowable is the only recommended path to Kindle.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been exporting using reflowable. Should I just ASSUME that's Epub3?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you Export (Ctrl-E), the first option is file save format, and you want EPUB/Reflowable.

In the Export menu that follows, the top selection is Version: EPUB 2.0.1 or 3.0.

This is is not (usually) one of the settings that occasionally resets itself, so choosing v3 once should keep it that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

--
*Karen McChrystal, MA*
Publisher/Editor-in-Chief
Hidden Springs Press
Santa Monica, CA
www.hiddenspringspress.com
https://mcchrystalmedia.wordpress.com/
www.sustainablelivinginstitute.org
Karen McChrystal | Facebook
www.amazon.com/author/karenmcchrystal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi James,

I have created a Kindle ebook using your advice, and although there are many graphics in the book that all convert perfectly there are 3 that appear as a camera with a warning red triangle. I have tried to remove them and replace them with larger, or smaller versions, but to no avail. In the image attached you will see that one of the images works fine, although they are all created in the same way, the other 2 don't work. Do you have any advice for me to get them to appear correctly? Thanks, Rory 

Screenshot 2023-07-11 at 15.40.41.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you group the three images into one image rather than three separate ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'd second Derek's suggestion; if you want the photos to appear as you show, make them one image, not three. EPUB is very much a place to keep things simple and not try to overstrain the layout capabilities.

I'm not sure what's going wrong, there. It looks like the actual images might not be available to ID and you're working from old low-res embeds. Check the links to make sure the photos are actually there and accessible at the time of export.

If you have further trouble, it would be better all around to start a new topic, focused on this issue. I'll be there. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines