• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I get rid of what looks like frame lines on my adobe print pdf?

Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's hard to see in the picture, but when I used export from InDesign to Adobe Print pdf format a few lines came through that aren't in the original when viewed in InDesign. One of these looks like a frame around text, the other I'm not sure. Why are these showing up?

Adobe Acrobat view of PDF

Brendan24111036dhr9_1-1666912764981.png

Brendan24111036dhr9_5-1666913070601.png

I have the line around one of the texts, but the other one doesn't even have a frame there.

InDesign view of frames

Brendan24111036dhr9_2-1666912823924.png

InDesign without frames

Brendan24111036dhr9_3-1666912841350.png

When I export it as a JPEG it looks fine.

Brendan24111036dhr9_4-1666913028027.png

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

TOPICS
Bug , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Hi @Brendan24111036dhr9 , Stitching artifacts are caused by Display anti-aliasing and would not print in high resolution output where there would be no anti-aliasing.

In Acrobat uncheck Smooth line art in your Page Display>Rendering Preference:

Screen Shot.pngScreen Shot 1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are flattening artitifacts, usually due to using a preset that does not support live transparency.

What settings/preset are you using for Export currently?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF/X-1a:2001

The printer requires that one or PDF/X-3:2002. In their documentation, everything was using the 2001, so that's what I stuck to. The only default setting I modify is to include the document bleed settings check box. Brad @ Roaring Mouse 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would do it. Both of those preset write the ancient Acrobat 4 v1.3 format that flattens art. You need at least v1.4 to support transparency effects. I suspect your printer can handle better than that and just haven't updated their documentation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks for the details. Let me follow up with them. Appreciate the insight: Brad @ Roaring Mouse 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a test, export a new PDF. Select one of the presets, but change Compatibility to Acrobat 5 v1.4. You won't see the stitching lines. That's still an old format these days; The standard these days is to send PDF/X-4. I haven't met even a hacky store front copy shop that can't deal with those.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Brendan24111036dhr9 , Stitching artifacts are caused by Display anti-aliasing and would not print in high resolution output where there would be no anti-aliasing.

In Acrobat uncheck Smooth line art in your Page Display>Rendering Preference:

Screen Shot.pngScreen Shot 1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Brendan24111036dhr9,

Typically those lines are a non issue when it comes to printing, you can verify this by toggling a couple of preference settings in Acrobat. Go to Preferences > General > Page Display > Rendering and toggle the Smooth line art and Smooth images on or off from their current state. If the lines disappear it's just a dispay issue.

Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 7.58.37 PM.png

Regards,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is indeed true. When a high-end RIP processes these files, the stitched areas are rendered fine. You can see this yourself by opening your PDF in Photoshop and render it at 1200 ppi (with anti-aliasing off). The stitching lines should not appear.

However, this still doesn't address how people viewing it in other situations experience your great work. It looks crappy having stitching lines all over the place, so you are still better off exporting at at least v1.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the great details every one. Sorry for the delay, came down with a stomach bug but am still alive!

@Mike Bro @rob day that did indeed remove it, thanks a bunch for the recommendation.

Brad @ Roaring Mouse The digital pdf is exported using interactive pdf. I haven't seen any issues so far, but thanks for calling that out.

Thanks again everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The digital pdf is exported using interactive pdf.

Interactive exports with live transparency (PDF 1.7), so they wouldn’t have the flattening artifacts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines