• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I place a tab leader in front of a numbered list?

Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work on a few "day sheets" for rodeos. I need them to be numbered as I place the names in, but I want a line in front of the number for people to score as they please. As of now, I have to number these manually, but if a name is added or dropped, I have to re-number them. Hopefully the screen shot below shows what I am wanting to do (and hopefully it can be done!). Thank you!

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 1.45.13 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Something like this:

Numbs.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something like this:

Numbs.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES!! Oh my... I can't believe it was that simple Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not all 'simple' things are obvious

You're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's pretty easy.

Start by selecting the Numbered List button on Control panel (in Paragraph mode). If you Option/Alt-click on that button it opens the Bullets and Numbering dialog. Make sure List Type is Numbers.

In the Numbers field, you can enter characters which are either before or after the number. Below, I've entered the Underscore character several times, then the metacharacter for the number (^#), then a period, then an en space (^>). The en space can be selected from the menu to the right.

Then all you have to do is type each item and the underscore, number and space appear automatically.

InDesign CC144.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need help again and hopefully you can! I have a paragraph style with my lines set in front of my numbers, but I need the numbers to restart with-in each group. I have a dozen or more groups where this needs to happen. Do I need to make a unique paragraph style for each one?! I've tried making two different paragraph styles, like most posts suggest. It restarts at Tie-down, but then continues the numbers from there on instead of restarting. This is making no sense to me! Please help!

Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 4.20.47 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Bullets & Numbering style dialog (as shown below), use the Mode menu to choose whether to start at a particular number or to continue numbering:

InDesign CC148.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did do that. When I say continue, it starts to number at 1 and then continues throughout everything. It does not restart where I need it to. When I say Start at, it just says 1 for everything.

Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 4.56.24 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

amberkimage  wrote

I did do that. When I say continue, it starts to number at 1 and then continues throughout everything. It does not restart where I need it to. When I say Start at, it just says 1 for everything.

Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 4.56.24 PM.png

You are in the Paragraph Style Options dialog, to override you need to be in the Paragraph panel's Bullets and Numbering. You can also do the override via Type>Bullets & Numbered Lists>Restart Numbering

Screen Shot 10.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob,

Thanks for reminding me about the Type > Bullets & Numbering > Restart Numbering item. I tend to forget that.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even easier, you can right-click on the paragraph where you want to restart number and choose it from the contextual menu: Restart Numbering

InDesign CC150.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Even easier, do nothing!

… except what I said previously! See Screenshot 3.

[This trick has been given by a Jedi … "a long time ago …"!]

Capture d’écran 2018-03-21 à 11.02.42.png

Capture d’écran 2018-03-21 à 11.03.01.png

Capture d’écran 2018-03-21 à 11.03.46.png

Capture d’écran 2018-03-21 à 11.04.05.png

Best,

Michel, from FRIdNGE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

just use the para style applied to: "Sponsored by …" to reset the counter!

Best,

Michel, from FRIdNGE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case it isn't clear Steve is overriding the first line of each section's paragraph style.

Put your cursor in the first line of a section and from the Paragraph panel flyout menu (not Paragraph Styles panel) choose Bullets and Numbering and set Mode to Start at 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines