• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I reorder/rearrange parent pages on InDesign?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I try to move a parent page, it applies the style rather than moving the page up or down. Please help!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

I believe Parent pages are resolutely ordered alphabetically by their prefix. You would have to rename the page(s).

On experimentation, it seems they are ordered by order of creation. You can drag and drop them to a different order if you are careful to observe the "drop" line appearing at the selected location.

I can't generally think of a need or reason to re-order Parent pages, though. If you have many, you probably want an orderly naming system as well, which would accomplish what you're

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Move? In the upper part of the pages panel you try to move it up or down to order? I suspect you mean something different than 'move' a Parent page. Can you give us more info and maybe a screenshot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2022-12-07 at 11.42.35 AM.png

For example, if I wanted to move Parent J after Parent G.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure no document page is selected in the lower half of the panel before you rearrange the pages in the upper half.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can drag and drop them even if a doc page is selected, but the pane is very fussy about the position of the pointer, on or in between Parent page icons.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.1 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe Parent pages are resolutely ordered alphabetically by their prefix. You would have to rename the page(s).

On experimentation, it seems they are ordered by order of creation. You can drag and drop them to a different order if you are careful to observe the "drop" line appearing at the selected location.

I can't generally think of a need or reason to re-order Parent pages, though. If you have many, you probably want an orderly naming system as well, which would accomplish what you're asking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is correct. The parent name on the left must be selected to move, not the parent preview which causes the content overlap. Thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both the Parent and doc pages panes are very fussy little interfaces, with too many functions selected by micro-movement of the elements.

While reordering Parent pages is a niche need, I find it annoying almost hourly how hard it is to drag a Parent pair onto facing Doc pages... the drop point is about three pixels across.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but why do you want to do that?

What do you want to achieve?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2024 Mar 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can rename the parent pages. When pages are rearranged and "B parent" needs to move down to the Last parent page in the column, "Logo - parent" will  be best to be moved. Perhaps you didn't know that parent pages can be renamed with a 4 letter name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot "move" Parent page assignments in the document page pane. You have to use one of the methods to assign a different Parent page to each document page, or group of pages, to change what parent is applied to what doc page.

You can do this by drag-and-drop or with a menu from the Parent page 'hamburger' menu at upper right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@viastudio said: "… The parent name on the left must be selected to move, not the parent preview which causes the content overlap. "

Hi together,

I also do struggle with the reordering of parent spreads ( parent pages ) in a document.

Recently had to do it with InDesign 2023 version 18.1 on a Mac.

Maybe it's only me, but it worked better with the PC version of InDesign and hardly on the Mac.

For some documents it's working, for some it's not.

Maybe this is a thing of screen resolution in combination with the size of the parent pages in the Pages panel?

FWIW:

Also tried "moving" parent spreads [Object masterSpread] with ExtendScript.

This object has no move() method unlike ordinary document spreads…

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having trouble reordering parent pages in the panel. It used to be easy to drag & drop them in a different order. I  was unable to drag & drop a week ago but then was able to when I tried later; now it isn't working again. There is a "move parent..." menu item, but it's grayed out for some reason, and drag & drop isn't working. Perhaps a bug? Why have a "move parent" item if you can't use it? 

Hmmm... I just opened a year-old ID file with several master pages (sorry, they were still called master pages a year ago) and tried dragging one to a different place in the panel. The vertical insertion line appeared momentarily between other parent pages but then was gone. 

InDesing 18.1

Mac OS 12.6.3 Monterey

27" iMac late 2015

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2023 Apr 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The parent pages don't move at all. Drag and drop doesn't work if I try to reorganize their order. Worked perfectly on my (very) old version of InDesign. Am I doing something wrong?

InDesign 18.2.1

Mac OS 13.0 Ventura

24" iMac 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As noted, you have to drag the page names on the left. At appropriate points between the other page sets, a horizontal line will appear to show a drop point. Does this not work for you?

(If not, it may be a "reset preferences" issue, again.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it doesn't work. When I select a parent page and try to move it, the cursor changes to a hand holding a page, and no horizontal line appears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's one usual reponse to dragging the page icons, but not the page names. Did you try Barb's double-clicking on the name to select it first? (I can do it without that, but it may work somewhat differently in the Mac interface.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I said in my previous post, I could reorder the master pages without problem on my old version of InDesign. I was doing it all the time. But with my new version, I just can't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I was having the same problem but got it to work two ways...

First: right click on the parent > panel options > change parents size to jumbo > then try like other people have said, highligh the parent, drage and move to where you want it, inbetween the pages.

Second: doesn't resolve the problem but was a work around for me. Duplicate the parent page positioned in the location before you want the new parent > select all and copy from the page you want to move > on the new page you duplicated paste in place  > delete originally copied page.

Hope I've explained ok and it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2023 Dec 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow the Jumbo thing worked! Thank you! 🙏

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2024 Feb 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue of not being able to reorder parent pages on a Mac running InDesign 19.2. Making the parent page icons small, medium or jumbo makes no difference, and neither does clicking on the name of the page instead of the icons.

I solved it by opening the document on a PC also running InDesign 19.2, which allowed me to drag and move the Parent pages as required very easily (you see a line appear in teh position to drop it, as discussed above). 

So anyone using Indesign on a Mac isn't going crazy, it just doesn't work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 08, 2023 Jun 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is infuriating.
Reordering parent pages is nothing unusual, nor should it be impossible - which, in my case, it seems to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2023 Oct 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh. I didn't seem to have this problem until recently. I thought it was me; why would Adobe make it impossible to move Parent pages? I can't foresee every single page I need to create, and I frequently create new and rearrange the parent pages. Not being able to do so, when we could before, is infuriating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2023 Dec 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured out an easy way. Right click from the "pages" panel to open settings > Panel Options... > Parents = size = jumbo. Then it's much easier to drag to reorder the pages. Just click, drag, then release your mouse when your cursor is right in between the pages where you want it to be. Make sure you release in the grey space, and not over top of another page or you'll apply the parent to that page. When the thumbnail size is set to "jumbo" you have way more room between pages to drop and reorder. Hope this helps! 

Screen Shot 2023-12-07 at 2.39.27 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a UX failure. Everybody would understand it if there were a small line between the pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines