• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I stop text from snapping to a baseline grid?

Mar 17, 2016 Mar 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I received a new template for a newsletter in InDesign CC 2015 and the text will only sit on lines. If I try to nudge a text box up or down, the text disappears and will only appear again if it reaches another line. How do I stop this?

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disable "Align to Grid". In the Paragraph Style options window, go to the Indents and Spacing tab, then select None in the Align to Grid dropdown.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2016 Nov 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked everywhere for this answer, simple and done. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit your paragraph style

Under Indents and Spacing, change the Align to Grid setting to None.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be worth also mentioning that it seems like you have to have the text highlighted in order to have the ability to 'choose paragraph options'. 

Thanks this is a handy tip all the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I originally didn't have a paragraph style applied. Once I made a style based on the text and checked the settings align to baseline grid was turned off.

I tried cutting and copying the text box into the same document and it also overflowed. I had to adjust the type box to fit the type. The really weird thing is that when I put the new adjusted text box on top of the original the type still lines up even though the text box is larger. I really have no clue what is going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi COGordonW,

as Peter Kahrel already mentioned, Align to Grid is a paragraph formatting feature.

If no* paragraph style is used, select the paragraphs that you do not want to align and turn off the feature from the Paragraph Panel. This feature is also available from the Properties panel ( InDesign CC 2019 and above ).

From my German InDesign CC 2019 Paragraph Panel ( Absatz ) and Properties Panel ( Eigenschaften ) showing where Align to Grid is enabled:

AlignToGrid-ENABLED.PNG

Disabled:

AlignToGrid-DISABLED.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

* [Basic Paragraph Style] is overridden or [No Paragraph Style] is overridden.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for sharing. I could not figure this out until I saw your generous screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines