• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I take an InDesign document into Photoshop, and back again?

Participant ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm doing some page layout work, and some of the work needs to be done in Photoshop. Is there a way to bring an INDD document into Photoshop, do some work there, and then jump back into InDesign with the newly created design so I can continue with my type and layout there?
TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

For an entire page layout? No.

InDesign and Photoshop are apples and fish. Photoshop is a pixel editor, Indesign is a page layout application.

You can link edited content from Photoshop into your page layout, and go back and forth between the two editing the linked content in Photoshop and having it update automatically in ID -- and this also works for other types of linked content in their respective native editors -- but other applications do not read .indd files, nor does ID read other format

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really. But explain what you do.

There might be another way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To explain what I do, I'll create a page full of copy, then I might put a photo of someone on the page that uses some effects that aren't available in ID. Then I may also add some fancy effects on the page, such as "swooshy" elements in the header or footer. It's tiresome trying to hop back and forth between InDesign and Photoshop to get these all to work together, so I was looking for the quickest way to approach this sort of work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> It's tiresome

No, it is not. This is normal behaviour.

I do know about Affinity StudioLink - https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/publisher/studiolink/ - this is great thing from a competitor of Adobe and this thing really works. But I wouldn't recommend this soft if you ever ever needs scripting things. There is no scripting in Serif soft.  

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2021 Aug 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree with Peter. 

Create your design elements in Photoshop or Illustrator.

Then use File>place to insert them in InDesign.

For photos, add the effect in Photoshop and the use File Place to insert to your layout.

There is no need to go back and forth with your layout in Photoshop. In fact that is the completely wrong workflow.

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/indesign/how-to/design-magazine-layout.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For an entire page layout? No.

InDesign and Photoshop are apples and fish. Photoshop is a pixel editor, Indesign is a page layout application.

You can link edited content from Photoshop into your page layout, and go back and forth between the two editing the linked content in Photoshop and having it update automatically in ID -- and this also works for other types of linked content in their respective native editors -- but other applications do not read .indd files, nor does ID read other formats as directly editable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines