• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you insert a "cut here line" with scissors?

Jul 31, 2010 Jul 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you insert a "cut here line" with scissors?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by "with scissors"? You can make cut lines with any tool that can make lines (like the pen tool, for example).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I meant with a scissor picture symbol, so people know where to cut it

and send back that portion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are people that stupid that a dotted line and a form or directions aren’t enough information and they need a picture of scissors to know to cut out a coupon? Those people probably can’t read anyway. Still, you can draw a pair of scissors, search Google for them, or use any of the one built into WIngdings or Zapf Dingbats.

Screen shot 2010-07-31 at 11.09.12 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A picture is worth a thousand words

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your comment is from 10 years ago but I need to address it. Today in 2023 illustrator is used to create documents such as for factories overseas. You have to make it clear without a reasonable doubt what each line means and symbols provide a lot of clarity and eliminate any interpretration. A dotted or dashed line doesnt automatically mean its a cut line.....please refrain on the adobe community calling people stupid or illiterate.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also like to add that many people, including myself, use Illustrator to create and format packaging components for pharmaceutical products (OTC and RX). The literature you receive inside your medicines and pharmacy products have very strict FDA guidelines, at least here in the states, but also overseas. There are rules about every single detail. I found this thread because I'm having the same issue inserting a scissors symbol on a medicinal insert - there are rules, people! Not everyone can read their prescriptions in the language that's on the package. I agree with Raj293784533rig, that comment was ignorant and unhelpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Talk about unhelpful You are both very much out of line complaining about 13-year-old observations. If you have a problem start a new post. I'm locking this one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you: Michael, Eugene and Scott for your helpful answers. I have decided to use only a dotted line without a picture of scissors.

Shab Levy

======================================================================================

From Michael Gianino:

What do you mean by "with scissors"? You can make cut lines with any tool that can make lines (like the pen tool, for example).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2010 Aug 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why did you decide to go without the scissors? It's just a font you have to insert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I decided to eliminate the scissors, because I became convinced that just a

dotted line is more elegant in a document than a picture of scissors with

it. I found the scissors glyph, but in the end it reminded me of free clip

coupons you get in junk mail. I decided that I needed something more

dignified than that.

Thank you very much for your help.

Shab

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should communicate this with the printer - has they might construe that the dotted lines means you want it perforated, which could add extra cost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I am printing only about 200 copies on my own laser printer on

legal size paper which comes as blanks, the perforation is 3" from the

bottom, which is perfect for my needs. Perforated paper blanks are available

readily at office supply stores. The registration I did is perfect, so the

dotted line is exactly on top of the perforation.

Thanks again,

Shab

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's very good. Well just so you know for any future projects thata re going to a commercial printers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Draw a dotted line, use the line tool and place a line, use the stroke panel to select a dot stroke and weight.

Draw a text frame, then go to your wingdings font, and open up the glyphs panel (Type>Glyphs) and look for the Scissors symbol in the glyph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2023 Feb 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image of the scissors attached to the dotted line are under the arrowheads....To create arrows in Illustrator, draw a line with the Pen Tool. Then, open the Stroke menu and apply an arrowhead to either the start or endpoint of the stroke using the “Arrowheads” dropdown boxes. Change the stroke Weight input to increase and decrease the size of your arrow.

16767642342336666140263147671627.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines