• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How master pages work within book feature?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know how master pages work within the Book Feature? 

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

A few other rules regarding synchonizing:

* A parent page that is defined in the "master document" [the highlighted one that is controlling the synchonizing] but not in another document gets added to that other document.

* If a setting is named both in the "master document" and another document, the definition of that setting in the "master document" overrides the one in the "non-master document"

* If a setting is not defined in the "master document" but exists in the some other document i

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Depending on how similar the different books are, you could look into using conditional text (which can work with graphics and tables too).

Off the top of my head, you could use a few methods. 

1. Create a "master" book that contains all chapters (that need syncing). Be sure to turn off the numbering and pagination settings in the book. Use this book to sync everything you need.
  2. Update and sync one book. Open a chapter from one of the other books and manually sync the styles, parent pages, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Master (now called Parent) pages exist in each document within a book.

When you use the Synchronize features in a book, "Parent pages" are normally turned off:

Screenshot 2023-01-06 at 7.21.35 AM.png

However, you can check that option to synchronize master pages based on the document you have chosen to match. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You beat me, Steve! It took me more than 10 seconds to type my response...

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You update the master pages in one document and synchronize them across the other documents through the book. Is that what you are looking for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

Thanks for your response. Your answer is clear. Maybe if I explain what I'm trying to achieve my question won't be as vague..

So I'm looking to use the panel as a organization system for 3 documents that are almost identical (same styles, master pages) the only thing different is the TOC and illustrations. 

Since they share almost all the same attributes, if I make changes to any styles/master pages ideally it should reflect in all 3 documents. I figured the book panel might be a way to do this...

Keep in mind I don't intend to use the book panel to combine all three documents into a single pdf. I will create a PDF from each individual document.

With the book feature I understand you gotta choose a source that all changes are made in. Since all 3 of my documents share the same styles/masters how would this work? How do I know which one to choose as the source?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case, I'd say it doesn't matter which one you choose.

It would seem to be arbitrary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So then all the master pages would look the same in every document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they had the same parent (master) pages, they would stay that way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To add to Steve's post...

InDesign (and most programs) just look at the name of the setting when syncing. So, in this case, parent pages with the same name would sync. Same for paragraph and type styles. 

Here is how the sync works:

• Settings with the same name in the receiving documents get updated to the "sync master".
  • New settings in the sync master get added to the receiving documents.
  • Settings in the receiving documents but NOT in the master are left alone.

Also, when syncing, you should use "pessimistic" settings--that is, only update the items you need to, not everything at once. For example, if I only updated parent pages, only sync the parent pages (unless I created a new paragraph style or variable for the parent page--then I would sync those too).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on how similar the different books are, you could look into using conditional text (which can work with graphics and tables too).

Off the top of my head, you could use a few methods. 

1. Create a "master" book that contains all chapters (that need syncing). Be sure to turn off the numbering and pagination settings in the book. Use this book to sync everything you need.
  2. Update and sync one book. Open a chapter from one of the other books and manually sync the styles, parent pages, etc. Open up the other book file and sync the modified chapter to the other chapters. Repeat for the third book.
  3. Another option is to create a "master" style sheet document. Sync any changes into it; use the style sheet to update the other documents. I add this file to the end of the book and remove it when updating the TOC and exporting to PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few other rules regarding synchonizing:

* A parent page that is defined in the "master document" [the highlighted one that is controlling the synchonizing] but not in another document gets added to that other document.

* If a setting is named both in the "master document" and another document, the definition of that setting in the "master document" overrides the one in the "non-master document"

* If a setting is not defined in the "master document" but exists in the some other document it's left alone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines