• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Add a Text Anchor

Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2012 Jun 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just discovered the Cross References feature in InDesign but I want my cross reference to point to a Text Anchor but for the life of me I cant work out how to add a Text Anchor.

So how do you add a text anchor?

Thanks.

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 29, 2012 Jun 29, 2012

Highlight the text you want to be the anchor. Open the Hyperlinks panel. From the panel munu choose New Hyperlink Destination and the dialog should come up with Text Anchor and your highlighted text filled in. Click OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Insert your cursor where you want the text anchor.

Open the hyperlinks panel menu and select New Hyperlink Destination.

Select text anchor from the Type” dropdown.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Highlight the text you want to be the anchor. Open the Hyperlinks panel. From the panel munu choose New Hyperlink Destination and the dialog should come up with Text Anchor and your highlighted text filled in. Click OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I was struggling with this feature too! Thank you so much for your answer - most helpful one today. Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone else trying to do this and not able to find New Hyperlink Destination... Go to the Window menu and the Interactive window. That's where you'll find the Hyperlink panel referenced above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I thought I was losing my mind on the "Links" window. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the clarification. It was driving me crazy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the lack of clarification was driving me crazy too! Thanks so much, I can finally finish this task!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!! I spent about 15 minutes trying every way possible to find that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ooof help! My hyperlinks panel does not show a "New Hyperlink Destination" option anywhere. I'm stuck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2021 Sep 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the right top corner of your Hyperlinks -panel, there is "3-lines" -button (more options). Click that and the 5th option is "New Hyperlink Destination...".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2024 Mar 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is all well and good but I would like to see text anchors added to the Hyperlinks panel. I am running ID 17.3 on a PC and only true hyperlinks (in my case to URLs) in my document are listed in the panel. This might improve use of this feature when the text anchor is used multiple times in a document. It would be a great new feature.

Marie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2013 May 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create the hypelink destination first then the cross reference.  Go to the text you want to refer to, select the text that you are referencing (the destination) then Create a new hyperlink destination the selected text will be the name of the destination link. This make life much easier later when creating the cross reference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2019 Dec 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Sir,

I have done text anchor cross-references. But there two questions left for me: 1. How is this possible to have a mutual cross-back on the two words crossed link together and the second question: why the blue links which are cross-refernced are not clickable in pdf (interactive) on smart devices? 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2019 Dec 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of InDesign are you using?

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I recently upgraded to the Creative Cloud vwrsion of  InDesign so if not the most current then pretty close...the issue is that I can make the Anchor and then I can create the link to it (they are in different documents) but when I print the Interactive PDF nothing happens when I click the link (I do get the hand pointer, so it knows it is 'supposed' to be a link, it just doesn't go anywhere).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Wendy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To make the hyperlinks work in the PDF, go to File > Export to make the PDF, then you have to check "Include Hyperlinks".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines