• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to 'Add an image' form field in InDesign?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2023 Oct 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I am creating an interactive pdf form in InDesign. I want to add an image field, so the end user can add an image from Acrobat. The only way I have found to do this is to first, export the InDesign document as an Interactive pdf, and then add the image field button in Acrobat.

I have seen people asking the same question in this forum, but that was several years ago so I was wondering if there was now a way to create the ‘add an image’ field directly in InDesign?

Many thanks for your help!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2023 Oct 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing's changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks for letting me know Bob!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As Bob says, it can't be done natively in InDesign.

But it can be done in InDesign with FormMaker (https://www.id-extras.com/products/formmaker/)

A free version of FormMaker is available for short, 1-page PDF forms.

Instructions:

It's important to realize that an "add an image" field in Acrobat is just a plain old button field, to which Acrobat automatically adds a 1-line Action script which is triggered on Mouse Up:

TW_0-1698106401828.png

So, to do the same with FormMaker in InDesign:

(1) Draw a rectangle and turn it into a button field (in the Button and Forms panel):

TW_1-1698106484714.png

(2) Select the button field, and, in FormMaker, go to the Actions tab and tell it to "Run a JavaScript on Mouse Up".

TW_2-1698106538445.png

(3) Click on the Edit button, and add this one-line script. It is exactly the same script as Acrobat adds to turn a button into a "select-an-image" field:

event.target.buttonImportIcon();

That's it! Export the interactive PDF with FormMaker, run the FormMaker command in Acrobat (it's available at the bottom of the Edit menu), and you will have an add-an-image field in your PDF, created in InDesign!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines