• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to add multiple Page numbers in single page in InDesign?

Enthusiast ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I am into a situation where I need to give one single page 2 page numbers. One in English starting from 1 and other in Arabic starting from any number I wish. It may start with 1 and after 5 pages it can be renewed.

I came up with a solution but its bit difficult to implement. First of all there are 6 Volumes of Book, each book contains approx 1500 pages.

For English I have created a PageNo Paragraph style and in Master Page I have created a text frame and applied this style. This works great and gets renewed on every page. 

For Arabic Page number I have created Paragraph Style named ArabicPageNo with bullet and Numbering enabled with Number Format set to #. I have created another text frame on the Master page for this style.

The problem is that on each page I have to unlock text box for Arabic Page Number and give a space to make this work. Considerign the fact that each volume has approx 1500 pages, it will be very difficult.

Any better solution will be helpful.

Screenshot attached of a sample page from the original book.

Thanks.

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

If you have to restart Arabic counter many times in the same INDD file - and it can restart from any number - then I don't think you can do it automatically - there is only one "page counter" per file. 

You could maybe make it a bit easier by creating already pre-populated story - with one TextFrame per page - insted of overriding from Master Page - but you'll still need to manually restart the numbering.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you explain why it is necessary to unlock the Arabic text frames? You said that you need to add a space within each Arabic frame. Why can't that space be added on the Parent (Master) page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thanks for the reply.
If I dont give space after unlocking, it wont show the number as a style of
bullet and numbering is applied to it.

The moment i give space, it shows 1 and again for next page i have to
unlock and give space to show 2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ask again, why can't you just make a larger frame on the Parent Page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello
Thanks for the reply.my concern is how will I populate it with a page
number automatically?
By default page number marker increments automatically. I am using this
marker for English numbers.
BUT for numbers in arabic language, i cannot use the same marker because it
does not always start with 1. It can start with say 340 or 500 or some
other number. I dont want to type arabic number because there are 7 volumes
in a book and each volume contains approx 1500 pages.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you have to restart Arabic counter many times in the same INDD file - and it can restart from any number - then I don't think you can do it automatically - there is only one "page counter" per file. 

You could maybe make it a bit easier by creating already pre-populated story - with one TextFrame per page - insted of overriding from Master Page - but you'll still need to manually restart the numbering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines