Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to add separating line between facing pages when exporting to PDF

Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2014 Jul 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've searched a lot and could not find an answer to my question...

I'm creating several multi-page documents with facing (left-right) pages. After that I export these to PDF. I use the same setting for all my files and same settings for exporting.

But one of the documents when exported doesn't have a separating line between the left and right pages and they seem to be one. How can I add this separating line?

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A gap between pages is a display setting in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I saw this in Acrobat, but it's turned on and the line is not there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're going to need a screen shot of what you want ( a file that displays correctly) in both ID and Acrobat, and another of the file that isn't right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

first 2 screenshots are from my exported PDF files - one with the line and one without the line... And in both cases 'Show gaps between pages' in Acrobat is enabled.

In Indesign they look the same way - both have the line visible. The third screenshot shows the same file from the second screenshot, but in Indesign.

Sorry for cutting the content like this, but it's confidential...

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's try again. I want to see the entire spread for BOTH file in both Acrobat and ID. I need to see the area around the pages, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, here they are:

Screenshot 1 - InDesign, the file that exports without having the line

Screenshot 2 - InDesign, the file that exports with having the line

Screenshot 3 - Acrobat Reader, no separating line visible

Screenshot 4 - Acrobat Reader, the separating line is visible

p1.JPGp2.JPGp3.JPGp4.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The one that is not showing the line was exported as spreads and is being displayed 1-up. The one that shows the line is exported as single pages and is displayed 2-up. You can confirm this by looking at the pages/spreads counts at the bottom of the Pages panel in ID and then checking the page count in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter, thanks you for your reply. If I understand correctly what you are saying, I would say this is not the case, because both are exported as spreads and both are displayed 1-up. Please see attached screenshots - first two show exporting options and second two show how it will look in Acrobat if both are displayed 2-up.

export1.JPGexport2.JPGpdf1.JPG2pdf.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2014 Jul 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, you're correct. I miscounted the spreads and pages in the second PDF.

At this point I have no idea why one shows a line between pages and one does not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of that aside, since I now know these are interactive PDF (which I don't do a print-centric designer) I'm going to tell you that screen intent designs should not force your reader to scroll up and down AND left to right to read. Multiple columns is extremely annoying on screen and deadly for many users who depend on screen readers (though from your settings it appears you are not worried about accessibility for the visually impaired).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter, very good point actually.

These files were created some time ago for print, but now we just want to have them available online as well.

Unfortunately at this stage we don't have resources to re-work them all and the idea was just to export them having in mind this is not the best thing to do...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a line (i.e. a stroke, an edge of a frame) on the master page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No... I think the reason for this is not that easy to be found...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of exporting as spreads, try exporting as single pages, and then changing the Initial View from within Acrobat and re-saving the document.. This will show it as spreads with the line, but keep the integrity of the individual pages. There is an option to do 2-up with cover so that the page flow shows correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is there a way to make this compatible with viewing the PDF in Google Chrome? In my case I think this is how most users will access the document since it will be on the web.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eCommera.simona.georgieva,

I am not sure how automated you would like this process to be, but this is certainly a solution to help you move forward. It certainly will take less time than continuing to look in my opinion:

1. With your InDesign CC(2014) document open, click on the Pages panel and double click on your Master Page (or multiple Master Pages that you have applied to the pages within your design)

2. Create a New Layer on each Master Spread you have applied to the document and name it something obnoxious like DO NOT PRINT, or something like that.

3. Simply draw a vertical line in the gutter of the Master Spread on your New Layer.

4. Change the line Stroke to something thicker like 2 points, maybe keep it at 1 point.

5. Export your PDF as spreads.

6. Turn the newly created Layers off in InDesign CC(2014).

7. Resave the document so that it opens in its original state.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2014 Oct 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paliosdesign.com,

I just saw your comment... this is actually exactly what I did...

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines