• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Automatically Update Multiple Tables in InDesign from a Single Excel File

New Here ,
Aug 01, 2024 Aug 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am making a product catalog which has hundreds of pages. On each page, there are one or several tables with prices.

Is there a way to update the prices automatically from one Excel file (that has all the products) ?

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show us a screenshot from your Excel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I haven't made it yet so I can do as I want, but probably something like this but with 2 000 products : 

Lisa34190183os20_0-1722500521012.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want this data to be split into a separate Tables in InDesign - you won't be able to just use DataMerge - unless, you'll split one long table manually.

What would be the "key" - data in which column will be the "signal" to split data into separate tables in InDesign?

Anyway, you'll need some commercial product to do it - if you want to be able to update prices.

Then there is a case of how this 3rd party tool will know where to place those separate tables?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2024 Aug 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought that maybe, the reference of each product would be the "key". I already have all the separate tables in InDesign and I juste have to update the prices.

I thought there might be like in Excel, a formula like "VLOOKUP" ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought there might be like in Excel, a formula like "VLOOKUP" ?

By @Lisa34190183os20

In the InDesign? No.

But perfectly doable with a 3rd party tool. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2024 Aug 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use "named regions" in Excel or put the Excel data on separate worksheets.

Link to the Excel file and select the appropriate named region/worksheet each time you place the file.

I''ve attached a quick outline on linking Excel files for your reference.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I'm gonna look into it !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One thing you will need to test will be what happens when you add or remove rows. If you add rows in the middle area of the data, the named region should expand automatically; if you add the new rows to the top or bottom, you will have to manually extend the range. 

Depending on where the data originates (Excel or from a database), more advanced options would be database plugins. They can either import the data and update or even have a live link to the original database for seamless updates. Companies include Em Software, Teacup Software, and 65bit.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines