Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to change the background color of the page

Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
I'd like to know simply how to change the background color of the page, and I don't undestand why the developper of INDD hasn't mad it more easy to realize. The only solution I found was to create un color rectangle witch hide the markers.

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

I've finnally found the solution by adding a background to the template (Le Gabari). Thanks !

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me offer a little tip that may make life easier or you:

1z - swap fill and stroke.jpgSelect your background with your Selection/Black Arrow tool. Then move near the bottom of the InDesign Toolbar to the bent double-arrow that signifies the Swap Fill and Stroke toolbar shortcut. You can also use the keyboard shortcut Shift+X to swap the fill and stroke for selected object(s).

Most backgrounds don't have a stroke set around them. If you set yours without a stroke value, swapping the fill and stroke will (momemtarily, temporarily) let you switch that background frame to have a background stroke of your background color and a fill of [None]. You can then toggle back and forth as you need to work with your guides, margins and other elements contained within the background frame.

It's not the perfect solution, but this trick should work quickly, easily and effectively for you.

Hope it helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but It doesn't repond to my question. I'd like o fill the backgrd page with the color I've chosen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's still filled with the color you want. You just have to toggle back and forth to see what's under it. It's quick and easy with a little practice.

As also offered, you can place your element on a parent page and base your document page(s) off that parent page. You can learn more about using parent pages by following this link.

This should help you get where you want to be. Just give 'em both a try and see what works best for you.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that is what Parent pages are for 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean the template? I don't hnow uet this concept of parent page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've helped me finding the solution by this way, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure exactly waht you are trying to do. If you plan on printing on colored paper you can edit the [Paper] swatch to simulate the paper color.

If you are printing on regualr paper without a color, then you must, as you've learned ass your own background color object. As Frans has mentioned, it's best to do this on a Parent/Master page. I also recommend making a separate layer for backgrounds and locking it so you don't accidentally use the background frame as a text frame by clicking in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the second case you describe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only solution I found was to create un color rectangle witch hide the markers.

If by markers, you mean things like page numbers and other parent page items, then make a layer for the markers. Make sure it is the top layer of your document. Make a bottom layer for the base page color rectangle. Lock both of those layers, and use central, unlocked layer(S) for the rest of your content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean by marker, the verticale lines that matérialise the columns and gutters : when I create a new color rectangle, this one hide them ! En principe, the markers should always be visibles by a Ctrl + $

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your preferences under Guides and Pasteboards. If "Guides in Back" is checked, uncheck it. If you are using Grids, it also has such a preference you need to uncheck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok It works, thanks a lot ! 
PS : sorry for my incorrect english.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've finnally found the solution by adding a background to the template (Le Gabari). Thanks !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rwann31 d'après ce que je comprends, tu sembles francophone. Même si les réponses à tes questions ont déjà été données, tu peux aussi poser tes autres éventuelles questions en français, si ça peut t'aider.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Je suis effectivement Français. Ces réponses me suffisent, merci pour l'info !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines