• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to check what color profile PDF file is?

Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have PDF-file that I have exported from InDesign. I would want to check is there right color profile (RGB or CMYK, depends which one I have exported). Is there any way to check this, I don't have Adobe Acrobat Pro program, some people suggested to use that to find it out.

Thank you so much 🙂

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you still have the original .indd file you might want to just re-export and make sure your settings are correct for the profile you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for answering. 

Yes, that is also an option. I just wonder is there any way to see it from PDF-file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid I don't know. You can use the Preflight tools in Acrobat Pro to force a document into an output intent profile, and there are also color converion tools that you can use more selectively, but I don't know of any way other than that using another PDF viewer.

But why don't you have Acrobat? Unless you have subscribed only to InDesign as a stand-alone application you should be able to install Acrobat as a part of your CC subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just wonder is there any way to see it from PDF-file

Hi @Jonathan32years PDFs (like InDesign) don’t have a document profile—a PDF can have a mix of color spaces, with or without embedded profiles.

AcrobatPro lets you view an object’s color space and profile via Output Preview’s Object Inspector. Preflight will also list a document's object’s color profiles.

Whether an object is profiled depends on your Export Output settings. The default PDF/X-4 preset (Output>No Color Conversion) exports all RGB color with an embedded profile. CMYK color exports as Device CMYK (no profile), but the PDF/X standard includes an Output Intent Profile, which by default is the document’s CMYK profile.

Set Preview to Object Inspector and click on an object to get its info:

Screen Shot 32.pngScreen Shot 33.png

Screen Shot 34.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines