• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to control images sizes in a reflowable ePub?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I export my book as a Reflowable ePub (version 2) but the images that are supposed to fill the whole page only appear as little thumbnails in the top left hand corner.... does anyone know how I can control image sizes within reflowable ePubs? 

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Hi all. Thanks for your comments. I managed to resolve this by simply selecting 'Relative to Text Flow' within the Object section when exporting an ePub. It seems to work quite well so far!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What software app are you reviewing your EPUB2, btw?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your comment. I'm using Kindle Previewer and Calibre to preview my ePubs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check whether your images are contained in a block container (p, div, etc.) set to text-align: center; and that the images themselves have a width of 100% assigned (which will force Kindle to display the images full sized on a separate page). That works fine on Kindle and other readers (although Calibre insists on non-proportional scaling of the entire image.

If you want a simple reflowable image which flows with the rest of the text on Kindle, remove the width property on the images.

Basically, stick to the simplest css you can for reflowable epubs. Allow the reader to do the display work for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. In addition to great suggestions above, please check out this help article for more information about EPUB image options. Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all. Thanks for your comments. I managed to resolve this by simply selecting 'Relative to Text Flow' within the Object section when exporting an ePub. It seems to work quite well so far!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2022 May 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never had the issue when exporting previously, but this time for some reason was struggling with images appearing smaller when exported; solution of selecting 'Relative to Text Flow' within the Object section did the trick for me as well. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2022 May 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Each of the size options, especially those buried in the individual Object Export Options menu (select image frame, right-click) produces a slightly different result, which is then slightly dependent on the viewer used. Unless a document has a small number of images that are presented identically, I have found the global settings in EPUB Export to be almost comically useless. At best, you can find a global setting that works for some majority of images, but then assigning specific export options to the others will result in a far more optimized result.

Here's a thumbnail summary of how all the export options affect image size, in proportional sense:

JamesGiffordNitroPress_1-1652568126323.png

JamesGiffordNitroPress_2-1652568171952.png

The H image is full left-right margin size.

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines