• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Create a Darker Tint for Monochrome Colors Without Adding Black

Participant ,
Jul 22, 2024 Jul 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I get the 'food title' color a darker tint, but to blend more into the original color at the bottom corner without having to add black?

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2024 Jul 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. You have chooseb spot  olor. Do you really want to use an unnamed spot color. If you blend any spot color with transparncy it will beciome a process color anyway. Change it to process.
  2. To get the color darker you will have to increase all process colors uniform or add black. Why do you not want to add black as it is the cleanest way to get a darker tint of the same hue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 23, 2024 Jul 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would have to disagree with the second point. Adding black usually muddies up the color. If you have a color with just CMY and you want to make a clean darker version, you would want to add more CMY proportionally. You would start adding black once you hit a limit on the other colors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2024 Jul 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Hendy374084080dng , You can create your color swtches as RGB (or Lab) color mode and then make a color managed conversion to CMYK by changing the Color Mode to CMYK later or letting the conversion happen on an Export to PDF. Here you can see the swatch color mode is RGB, and Separation Setup shows the conversion to CMYK (0%Black in this case) using the document’s assigned CMYK profile:

Screen Shot 6.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 29, 2024 Jul 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean that it will become a processed color anyway?

I want it to be a spot color so that everything this color should be changed if I edit the color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any spot color changes to process if transparency is used for objects with that color. 
But I think you confuse global with spot color. What you describe what you want to afford indicates that a global color is what you want. Global colors are in Illustrator, in InDesign means the use of swatches the same. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 05, 2024 Aug 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Any spot color changes to process if transparency is used for objects with that color.

That is not true. The spot color will stay a spot color. If you look at the output preview when saving it out as a pdf, you will see a percentage of the spot color and percentage of the process color. That being said, most rips do not do well with mixing transparencies of process and spot together, and it is better to change them all to process (but global) if you have to mix them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so that everything this color should be changed if I edit the color.

As Willy suggests all InDesign Swatches are global. Spot colors are colors that will print on an extra plate on an offset press and do not use the CMYK plates even if the spot’s Color Mode is defined as CMYK. So if I check Separation Preview I can see this color will output on the PANTONE Orange 021 plate—the CMYK plates all output at 0%

Screen Shot 10.png

I can edit the Swatch Options and the page items that use it will change. Even if I use CMYK as the Color Mode there is no CMYK in the output:

Screen Shot 11.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines