• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create a hyperlink to an image

Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2024 Sep 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am struggling to create a hyperlink to an image on another page in the document. It is straightforward to link to a piece of text but not an image. In other words I want the text on page 130 to read

Page 138 - birth certificate for Alex Strachan

where the birth certificate image is on page 138 and this page number would change if I insert pages and the image moves to a different page. There is no text on the page 138 to link to unless it is possible to link a dummy text frame to the image.

If I select the destination image, 'New hyperlink destination' on the Hyperlinks panel only offers 'Page' or 'URL', with 'Text Anchor' greyed out. I don't think 'Page' is any good as I want it linked to the image, not the page.

I feel this should be straightforward but I cannot see how to do it. 

Can anyone help please?

Thanks.

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 22, 2024 Sep 22, 2024

Yes, that's what I had in mind. 

You can set color to "[None]" instead of white - and place caption over the photo. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/hyperlinks.html

Technically, you can only hyperlink to text or page - within INDD Document. So if you want to heperlink to an image - hyperlink to its caption - or add hidden one. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help. This works partially - I have added a caption to the image and set up a cross-reference to the text (not a hyperlink; is that correct?). The cross-reference updates when I move the page.

However, if I hide the caption, the cross-reference becomes invalid and does not link. So I change the text colour to white, which effectively hides the caption. This seems to give me what I want.

This seems a kludgy way of going about what seems a simple task, but perhaps I'm being unfair. Am I going the right way about this, or is there a 'better' way to do this?

Many thanks for your help though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's what I had in mind. 

You can set color to "[None]" instead of white - and place caption over the photo. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that's reassuring! A learning process for finding out about captions. I did all you suggest and the result is just what I want. Many thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines