• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create a knockout stroke around text in InDesign CS6

Explorer ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an oval with text on top of it. I want to make the stroke around the text transparent so you see the background through the space between the text and the oval but I'm not sure how to get this done in InDesign and I don't know Illustrator well enough to do it in there.

I could take it into Photoshop and simple erase the stroke but then it's no longer a vector.

SMS.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Ok, here we go:

1. Convert your text „startup” to outlines (Ctrl+Shift+O).  Give it a [Paper] stroke. The sequence is not relevant here, also you can not bother about stroke weight so far.

2. Select your outlined text, in the Effects panel, sub-select the Stroke only, and set its Opacity to zero. Your stroke „disappears”.

3. Group the green graphic element and „startup” together (Ctrl+G).

6. With the Group of these two objects selected, in the Effects panel, turn on Knock-Out Group checkbox.

7. Now y

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried to replicate the logo in Illy and it's a LOT harder than you would think. There's a trick going on with the stroke that Illy doesn't understand when converting.

I could do it, but it would take quite a few hours. And that's the kind of work I charge for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Illustrator, Object > Path > Outline Stroke. The outer edge of a stroke does not work to create new shapes when using the pathfinder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeffrey,

You can get the stroke in Illustrator to work with the Pathfinders in Illustrator by using the Expand command to turn them into filled objects. The problem is the stroke in the swoosh doesn’t convert to filled object with the effect. I’d have to do it with a custom stroke in Illy and I hate to try to replicate a designers work. I like to just cut, paste, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

24-hours discussion to do it in 1 minute!

TomKC,

Just create your logo in ID with a white stroke, export to pdf, send us your file and Sandee just does it into AI playing with stroke vectorizing and pathfinder (2 clicks), copying/back-pasting the path into ID and send you this file!

A beautiful vectorized logo into ID

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I've just done

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s not that easy.

As Eternal Warrior didn’t see, there is a variable effect on the green swoosh that doesn’t come through by just clip, snip, pathfinder, tah-dah!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm... funny cause I did it in 20 mins...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A better man than I. Perhaps you should take the name “VectorMan”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok done done and done this time with various versions and everything...

Hopefully Obi-Wan won't find any flaws this time....

Dropbox - My Shared Folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

… Kerning between letters could be better!

(^/) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hahaha!! Ok.. Now I'm learning why we offer answers rather than actually helping people with the work itself

I tried comparing it against the photos provided and it matched pretty much perfectly if the kerning is off I blame whoever made the logo in the first place

Besides all I did was make a vector duplicate of someone else's work...blame them!! Hehehe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines