• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create a new document from clipboard in InDesign?

Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know I can paste clipboard contents to a new frame.  Is it possible to make a new document from clipboard contents ?

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

No, that is not possible. A new document is much more complex than clipboard contents could hold.

If you wanted to create a new document from a document created before, create a template with the contents you want. (Choose File > Save As > InDesign Template). It would include the document's basic structure, and any contents you wanted the document to start with.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that is not possible. A new document is much more complex than clipboard contents could hold.

If you wanted to create a new document from a document created before, create a template with the contents you want. (Choose File > Save As > InDesign Template). It would include the document's basic structure, and any contents you wanted the document to start with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @No Notes

What do you intend to hold in the clipboard that you would want to create the document from. If you had to do it manually, would that involve just creating a new document and then using paste option or is it something more complex that you have in mind. I am just curious and seeing if this is something that could be automated.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for your interest!  I had a text frame with some nicely formatted words and pictures.  I wanted to export that frame as a JPG or a PDF with the dimensions of the the frame (not the dimensions of the (larger) document).  I've used Photoshop a very little bit and was able to copy to clipboard a similarly complex image and paste it to a new document that had the dimensions of the clipboard contents.  Of course, I have managed a (clunky) work around - by creating a new document with the dimensions I want and pasting my text frame to it.  I just hoped that InDesign wold allow the same trick as Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You need to define size of the document first - or resize document after 🙂

But would be pretty easy to automate by script 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines