• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to create a separate number next to page number on master page?

New Here ,
Aug 30, 2024 Aug 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bekreider_0-1725083438622.png

Hello there,

So on my master page, I was able to do the page numbers on my footer, Page A of 1 so it increases based on the page. But on the right side, I'm needing to increase the number by 1 in the box. So D100, D101, D102, etc.

I'm having a really hard time figuring out how to increase this properly so that it doesn't impact the page count on the left side. Any help would be appreciated.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 31, 2024 Aug 31, 2024

Use a list: https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/bullets-numbering.html?x-product=Helpx%2F1.0.0&x-product-location=Search%3AForums%3Alink%2F3.4.0#:~:text=then%20click%C2%A0OK.-,Define%20lists,-A%20defined%20list

In my example, I created a list that I named “D” (1) and I made it start at 100 (2). I added the letter D before the automatic numbering (3). Then I created a text frame on the parent page and typed a space in it to trigger the auto numbering. The last step is to override the parent pa

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Write this number or use a text variable and isert the page marker. I don't see a problem here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The number on the right is different from the page number, so it might be page 3, but it's D103 on the right

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2024 Aug 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may try Data Merge. This should be a simple fix, given the page-background remains unchanged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may try Data Merge. This should be a simple fix, given the page-background remains unchanged.

By @Upendra Bhati

DataMerge won't work in this case at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use a list: https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/bullets-numbering.html?x-product=Helpx%2F1.0.0&x-product-loca...

In my example, I created a list that I named “D” (1) and I made it start at 100 (2). I added the letter D before the automatic numbering (3). Then I created a text frame on the parent page and typed a space in it to trigger the auto numbering. The last step is to override the parent page elements on each page to get the actual numbering.

Capture d’écran 2024-08-31 à 12.27.02.pngCapture d’écran 2024-08-31 à 12.42.05.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just a couple of tips on overriding parent page items...

Option 1: If you want to PREVENT overrides on certain frames, select the frame, right-click, and deselect "Allow Parent Item Overrides". 

image.png

Option 2: Put the parent items you do NOT want to override on a separate layer and lock it. (I would put the other parent items--the ones you want to unlock--on their own separate layer too.)

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines