Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create sidebar navigation?

Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm working on an indesign file and would like to have a clickable sidebar page navigation that appears on every page (exept the cover).  I would want this to auto-update and populate the section titles - like the TOC function does.  I would also like this to live on a master page so it won't have to be copy / pasted on every page.

Is this possible?  I'm familiar with the TOC functionality but not sure if that's how this would be done, or if it can live on a master page that auto-updates.

I wasn't able to find anything about this specific need on google or here in the forums.  Thanks so much for your help!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

You CAN make multiple ToCs in InDesign if you name/style/preset them separately. I never tried to put one on a Master Page.  Usually, I have built a series of button frames that have next page, previous page, home, etc. I know that method can be built on a master page.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of "clickable" interface did you want? How would the document be made available—PDF, Publish Online, Reflowable EPUB, Fixed Layout EPUB, ???? Who is the audience?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve - this is for a company style guide and would be published as a PDF.  I tried creating the TOC on a master page, which does actually work.

One issue I'm having is that it repeats the top level sections in the TOC if they appear on multiple pages like below:

• Logos
    • Topic 1
  • Logos
    • Topic 2

I would want it to be 

• Logos
    • Topic 1
    • Topic 2

Is there a way to prevent this other than manually deleting the repetitions?  This would be a pain as it would keep regenerating every time I update the TOC and I would have to manually delete.

I would also like to somehow highlight the section the user is currently on (similar to a web page navigation, showing the "active" page).  Is it possible to do this automatically somehow?

Thanks so much everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks more like an Index rather than a TOC. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You CAN make multiple ToCs in InDesign if you name/style/preset them separately. I never tried to put one on a Master Page.  Usually, I have built a series of button frames that have next page, previous page, home, etc. I know that method can be built on a master page.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Steve notes, this is not quite as much an InDesign question as it is a published-format question... yes, you can create interactive elements using InDesign, but exactly how, how they will work and how to implement them depends greatly on the publication format.

For instance, Parent page-based features won't work in EPUB (not reflowable, and I don't think in FXL... but maybe). And would work differently in interactive PDF and Publish Online.

Choose one for a better answer... 🙂

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

See:

https://youtu.be/1qFxiRQ4kdM 

I mean: Just 1 Click!  😉

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines