• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to delete a text hyperlink destination and duplicates

Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have begun to use cross-references in ID and find it difficult to access the text hyperlink destinations. They are not listed in the hyperlinks panel (why not Adobe?).

If a text hyperlink is updated with new text, the old text is used in the hyperlink and be wrong in the cross-reference. 

I just want to delete a few text hyperlinks and change others' properties. It is becoming burdensome to use.

Or do we have to buy another piece of software to solve this problem?

Thanks.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

My husband, thank the good LORD, told me to dig deeper. I went to the Hyperlinks panel and in the upper right, press on the hamburger menu. Select Hyperlink Destination Options from the menu. Up pops a window where you can select from the DESTINATION  dropdown the name of the TEXT ANCHOR. Here you can edit and delete text anchors.

Adobe had better add this to their instructions page.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you exploring/familiar with all the elements of the Cross References palette, including those in the 'hamburger' icon menu at its top right? Do none of those options reach the elements you're trying to change?

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey James:

To make a Text hyperlink destination (not one to the internet), I am using the Hyperlinks panel to create the text hyperlink. IF you look in the hyperlinks panel, that text hyperlink destination is not there. It's not visible, part of the list. That's what bothers me. If you cannot see it in the hyperlinks panel, how can you delete the destination or change the destination? You can't. This needs to be fixed by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Mike noted, 'Hyperlinks' and 'Cross Refs' are not the same thing. The links for cross refs are in the Cross References panel:

JamesGiffordNitroPress_0-1674843998356.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Entries in the Hyperlinks panel and the Cross-References panel are not the same entries.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

James and Michael are correct.

Here's a link to the Help article for the Cross References feature in InDesign which might help:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/cross-references.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Steve:

Thanks but these instructions do not address the fact that the text destination (called a hyperlink) is not listed in the Hyperlinks panel and so cannot be changed or deleted. This is something that Adobe has to solve for us users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My husband, thank the good LORD, told me to dig deeper. I went to the Hyperlinks panel and in the upper right, press on the hamburger menu. Select Hyperlink Destination Options from the menu. Up pops a window where you can select from the DESTINATION  dropdown the name of the TEXT ANCHOR. Here you can edit and delete text anchors.

Adobe had better add this to their instructions page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's where text anchors live.

Which are a part of document hyperlinks.

And which are accessible in the same menu mentioned twice above.

Glad you found the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually it does give directions in the Hyperlink Help file:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/hyperlinks.html

It's in the section "Manage Hyperlinks" > Edit or Delete Hyperlink Destinations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean this one, accessed by clicking Help | InDesign Help?

JamesGiffordNitroPress_0-1674845608452.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always use Google. I searched "indesign help hyperlink" and got the whole article:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/hyperlinks.html

Adobe search can be pretty worthless, unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always use "InDesign help" and it's the helpx files that will appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree; the integral search is not always the best route. But the search above, via the Help UI, brought up two or three immediately useful prior posts that specifically answered the question using the OP's key term.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines