• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to display a 2 page view in PDF

New Here ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created a book in InDesign that shows best in a 2 page view when converted to a PDF. The problem I'm having is how to get the file to default to a "2 page view" rather than a "single page view" when opened in Adobe Acrobat. I've googled this a handful of times and can't find a solution. Perhaps I'm overlooking it, but I just haven't found an answer.

Thanks

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

After the PDF is exported, open it in Acrobat DC Pro and set the following:

1. File / Properties
  2. Click the Initial View tab at the top.
  3. From the drop down list for Page Layout, select Two-Up (Cover Page) or Two-Up Continuous (Cover Page). The difference between the two is how the PDF will scroll for the user: will it "hop" from one page/spread to the next, or will it be a smooth continuous scroll from spread to spread. Your choice.
  4. Exit out of the dialogue box.
  5. Save and close the PDF. This is impo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the PDF is exported, open it in Acrobat DC Pro and set the following:

1. File / Properties
  2. Click the Initial View tab at the top.
  3. From the drop down list for Page Layout, select Two-Up (Cover Page) or Two-Up Continuous (Cover Page). The difference between the two is how the PDF will scroll for the user: will it "hop" from one page/spread to the next, or will it be a smooth continuous scroll from spread to spread. Your choice.
  4. Exit out of the dialogue box.
  5. Save and close the PDF. This is important to cement the setting in the PDF.
  6. Re-open the PDF to check that it opens as you intended.

Settings in Acrobat Pro / File / Properties.Settings in Acrobat Pro / File / Properties.

If you're making the PDF from Adobe InDesign, you can set this in the Export dialogue settings and then avoid this step in Acrobat.

1. File / Export / Interactive PDF.
  2. From the Layout menu, select either Two-Up (Cover Page) or Two-Up Continuous (Cover Page).
  3. Complete the export, and the PDF will open as planned in Acrobat.

Export settings from Adobe InDesign.Export settings from Adobe InDesign.

NOTE: Do not select the "spreads" option in the upper right. It welds the 2 pages together and prevents many users from viewing the PDF easily. Keep them as separate pages and instead have them viewed side-by-side. Makes everyone happy.

Not difficult to do, but it is not well-documented. Hopefully, this will help.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents |
|    PubCom |    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is one option available in Acrobat that is not (always) available in the ID export. Can't remember which one; I had a document for which the choice was grayed out and I had to export, then open in Acrobat Pro to set the right initial view.

—

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.0 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you export, select layout for various 2 up options.

2up.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep in mind, though, that this is only the way the file will display whgen it is opened in Acrobat. All bets are off with other viewers, and the reader has full control to change the view on their end regardless of waht you might set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not seen any PDF viewer, other than Acrobat, honor 2-up spread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2023 Jul 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes exactly. do you know a way to save the view settings on adobe reader. because on acrobat it saves fine just not on reader. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2023 Jul 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The short answer is no, view settings are set within the document. They are only interpreted by the reader as something of a guideline — if the reader has a very small window, the reader will often change the display mode to attempt to give the user a better view.

But you can embed both starting scale and starting layout in the doc. As long as the user is opening the doc in a compliant reader on a screen large enough to show the spread contents, it will open that way.

If what you want is the contents of two pages, always... make it single double-width pages.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.0 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines