• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to display Polish (or Cyrillic) font?

Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm creating a document for Polish language, so I need the correct font that can display Cyrillic characters. -lease advise how I accomplish that. Do I need to install a Cyrillic font?

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most OpenType Pro fonts have Cyrillic glyphs included.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you need to install a font that supports Cyrillic characters. Many OpenType fonts which are not specifically Cyrillic actually have these glyphs built in already, including the commonly installed Minion Pro, Myriad Pro and Arial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe any Adobe "Pro" font has the extended glyph set, for Cyrillic and most other common alphabets.

ETA: Missed Brad's comment on this. But I believe that's one of the meanings of the "Pro" designation — that it has the basic world glyph set.

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do I miss something? But as far as I know, Polish uses latin characters (with some special characters as Å‚ź) not cyrillic…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're completely correct! Polish is typically written in Latin script. (If your target population lives in Belarus, then apparently there is a recent Polish Cyrillic variant. I've never seen it, myself. But otherwise, unless you're doing something historical from a few hundred years ago, typeset Polish in Latin script.)

Adobe "Pro" fonts typically have extended glyph coverage, but not all of them have Cyrillic glyphs. For that matter, not all of them have extended Latin glyphs to support Polish. What I'd do, in your shoes, is go to fonts.adobe.com, choose "Browse All Fonts," then select "Polish" from the "Languages and Writing Systems" dropdown in the Filters area on the left. That way, you know you are selecting fonts that have all the glyphs necessary to display Polish. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd have to assume the OP was asking in good faith and means either the special Polish characters or the (rare) Cyrillic writing of the language. But then, I've typeset pages containing Roman English, Greek, Cyrillic, Sanskrit and Chinese glyphs — all at once — only one of which comes close to a language I speak. 🙂

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Polish uses latin characters"

Yes, you are correct. However, while "standard" fonts may have some of the Polish glyphs, they don't have them all. Any "Pro" or extended Unicode font usually does:

e.g.

Top paragraph is standard Minion, bottom paragraph is Minion Pro.

Screen Shot 2022-09-09 at 4.36.33 PM.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2022 Sep 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

However, while "standard" fonts may have some of the Polish glyphs, they don't have them all. Any "Pro" or extended Unicode font usually does

Of course, I am aware of this. I just pointed out that Polish DO NOT need any Cyrillic font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines