how to export to PDF by reducing file size

Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Always about my 4 pages PDF in InDesign, I would like to export it in PDF but by reducing the file size while preserving quality. How to do this ? I would like to keep "superior quality" but by reducing the most possible the file size.

I see in this export to PDF settings, that I cannot remove layers at export to PDF. Do you think layers are making the PDF more heavy ?

indesign export.jpg

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no single answer to that problem. It's definitely not layers, that cause size, it's the content of the InDesign file, including both raster and vector art. Here's a thread which provides some answers:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/reduce-pdf-file-size-when-exporting-from-indesig...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under that export window, go in to compression on the left side. You can tweak what kind of compression to use to get the desired effects, but there is always drawbacks when reducing the filesize.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Layers in Photoshop use space, but layers in PDF use almost no space. To get a smaller file you must decide what to leave out, or how much to reduce quality. There isn't just a lot of space put in , waiting to be saved....

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines