• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get rid of this Underline-Issue ?

Participant ,
Oct 23, 2023 Oct 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I’m wondering about this grey underline appearing when :
- pressing an accent < ´ > then a character sometimes produces extra non-intended spaces (It looks like some kind of memory issue)
- once I then erase the space, the adjacent character ( < c > in this current case ) gets this grey underlining mark.

2 Questions :
1) What is this mark standing for (signification) ?
2) How do I get rid of this grey mark ?

My workaround so far was to select the marked character together with one character before and after, then to erase the 3 of them and rewrite the missing part. 

Any hints would be much appreciated.

Cheers

G 🙂

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2023 Oct 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see on your screenshot that you use a “Copy_basic” character style (which is overriden). Check this character style to see if the underline is not an attribute of this character style.

And why do you use a “Copy_basic” character style? You shoud use a paragraph style. Character styles should be used to apply locally attributes as bold, italic, colored text or underline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your message, JM !
The Copy_Basic character style is perhaps a bad habit, yes.
Regarding the core of the question : the gray-underline isn’t part of the style. … I presume it might represent some kind of Warning-Sign or Text-Issue (?). … I’m still unsure about relevant keywords and where to investigate in order to find the signification of these occurrences.
Any further ideas ?
🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I presume it might represent some kind of Warning-Sign or Text-Issue (?).

I am not aware of any warning like this. Can you see it when you display the file in preview mode? Or when you export the file as PDF?

Any further ideas ?

Without seeing the actual file, no.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JM,

I think the grey underline is not part of any character-style, as the grey underline appears and disappears while the character-style remains in place.

The occurrence of the grey-underline seems connected to the moment when accents are set, followed by any characters and spaces. It seems like some kind of memory issue. I’ll try to recreate how it displays on screen / test-word with accents like this :

connect´´é

If you try and type an accent «´», the grey underline appears as long as the belonging character is not set. 

It sometimes happens that the character (vocals like a, e, i, e, u) entries fail – resulting in a deconstructed word/string – e. g.: connect´´ e

When it occurs, my next step consists of typing a new accent + e in place of the selected ´´ e. This is where these grey underlines appear under the new é.
The only way to get rid of it is to select and retype the piece of word with a letter-before and a letter-after the piece of corrupt string.
That’s why I’d like to find a description of the grey underline’s meaning.

I just didn’t find any relevant keyword nor original Adobe-description about it. Yet.

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you try and type an accent «´», the grey underline appears as long as the belonging character is not set. 

I can't replicate this: I have a French system and a French keyboard, with all the accented characters directly on the keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nevermind, yes, it’s also depending on one’s Keyboard-version (QWERTZ in this case).

Bonne soirée 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines