• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to give space before superscript character? Help me to find Right GREP!

Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi  team, Hope you are doing good!

Please help me to find the right GREP 

Actually! I need to look behind the characters, I have a recuirment to  give a space between  normal text and superscript.

please look the attached image, i have to put the space before every superscript

Note: Some times the superscript characters will be more than one, for example : (1,2,5,*) or (1,2) or (†3) 

superscript will come same as attached image Images.jpg

Common hints to find the right palce:

1. Every superscript comes only end of the word or paragraph, mostly its comes end of the paragraph 
  2. We  recieve the file with superscript text.

please help me to find the GREP  and solve this issue 

Thanks in advance

Nousheeth 

TOPICS
How to , Print , Scripting , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Hi jmlevy,

I would do it slightly different.

Instead of GREP find pattern:

I'd do GREP find pattern:

.+

Why? Because of that:

GREP-FindChange-0.PNG

Wheras:

GREP-FindChange-1.PNG

Note: In my screenshots above I assume that the superscripted characters have a character style applied with name "Superscript".

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try this? It works for me

Capture d’écran 2021-09-07 à 09.28.39.jpg

I am looking for any character (.) formatted as superscript (supérieur/exposant in French) and I replace it by a nonbreaking space (~S) and what has been found ($0)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not an answer to your question but a suggestion to improve your superscripts. I suggest you try increasing the font weight for the superscripts. If the body copy is Normal try Medium or Semibold for teh superscripts. Most fonts include a superscripted 1 or 2 even if there isn’t a full superscript available. Set one of those then type a normal digit. Scale and baseline shift the normal digit and increase its weight untul it looks a close as it can to the superscript. Make that your character style.

Screenshot 2021-09-07 at 1.25.16 AM.png

Above you see Helvetica Neue 55 Roman. Have a look at the 22 on the left. The left 2 is the built in superscipted 2. The right 2 has been horizontally and verticaly scaled, baseline shifted, and promoted to Helvetica Neue 65 Medium. Now look at the 22 on the right. Again, the left 2 is the built in superscript. The right 2 was baseline shifted and scaled proportionally, but the font weight is unchanged.

I prefer to use horizontal and vertical scaling for superscripts because if the font size changes then the superscripts will scale, too. I would still need to adjust baselineshift, but only that.

Now in your particular case, if I read your screen capture correctly, you can do this easier and better by selecting Superscript/Superior in the Postion section of the Opentype options menu. That is, if this is Myriad Pro, as I suspect.

Screenshot 2021-09-07 at 1.32.48 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jmlevy,

I would do it slightly different.

Instead of GREP find pattern:

I'd do GREP find pattern:

.+

Why? Because of that:

GREP-FindChange-0.PNG

Wheras:

GREP-FindChange-1.PNG

Note: In my screenshots above I assume that the superscripted characters have a character style applied with name "Superscript".

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, you are absolutely right!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi laubender

Your solution is working Perfectly with characters.

But! there is one issue 

In some cases the superscript come along with dragger and asterisk symbol

Example: 1,*,✝ or 3,*,✝, 2 

I just want to give a space before 1st superscript character 

How to give a space for this kind of  issue 

Thanks in advance 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It should work with the star and the dagger. Pattern

.+

would also catch them. As long as all of the glyphs share the same formatting; e.g. applied character style "Superscript".

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines