Exit

How to Inset a table within text frame

Contributor ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

macOS Catalina, ID CC newest version.

How do I make a table within a text frame has left and right insets? I tried controlling via Paragraph Styles Indent left & right, but only the left indent works while the right indent does nothing (see attached file). The yellow lines are where I want the table to start / end.

I also tried using cell style inset, but it would still leave the horizontal strokes in wrong place (see attached file).

I looked into Table Style options but there isn't inset option for a table.

Thank you for any help.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Hi,

principally a table is always able to leave a text frame's or text column's border on the left and also on the right. Or even on both sides. It depends on how the paragraph's alignment is defined that holds the table. Left aligned, centered or right aligned. Text frame insets or paragraph insets cannot keep a table's width in check.

So if you want to make sure that the table does not leave the text frame you have to change the width of the individual table columns.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

(

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

principally a table is always able to leave a text frame's or text column's border on the left and also on the right. Or even on both sides. It depends on how the paragraph's alignment is defined that holds the table. Left aligned, centered or right aligned. Text frame insets or paragraph insets cannot keep a table's width in check.

So if you want to make sure that the table does not leave the text frame you have to change the width of the individual table columns.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

Shame that we can't inset table somehow (ideally within table style) and have to work around it manually. Appreciate you taking your time to reply, thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Take a look at WoodWing's Smart Styles plugin. I believe it can support table geometry (row/column/table sizes).

https://www.woodwing.com/en/smart-styles-adobe-indesign-plugin

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines