• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make 3 different indexes in 1 book in InDesign?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

How can I make a separate index in 3 different languages ​​in a book I made in the Indesign Program?

Also this book needs to work as epub. Can you help me?

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
EPUB , How to , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Only for really lazy guys! …

E.g., as shown in the screenshots, I've here previously applied a specific char style to identify each index (until 4 indexes).

However note there're 4 ways to play the game:

• manually, entry per entry: the user selects the right index in the Script UI, then selects text and clicks on "New Entry". A specific char style could be applied in the same time by the Script if this adding is chosen in the tab "by char style".

3_UI.png

• by list(s),

• by char style(s)

• by Grep(s).

1_Before_Script.png

Now

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create more than one index by prefixing topics with symbols or strings. E.g. topics in language 1, prefix all topics with L1_, topics in language 2, with L2_, and topics in language 3, with L3_. When you generate the index it's sorted by language. Add titles for the three indexes, then delete the prefixes with this GREP replacement:

Find what: L[123]_

Change to: <leave empty>

InDesign's index works fine in Epubs, page references are links.

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2023 Dec 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I follow you up until the instruction to add Titles.  Would this be done to the end document as a Static Change or in the Index routine itself as an Active Change, (that would repeat itself with each subsequent Generate Index).  I am trying to parse my InDesign Index into two, an Index Locorum and an Index Nominum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2023 Dec 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Would this be done to the end document as a Static Change or in the Index routine itself as an Active Change

As a static change after you generate the index.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2023 Dec 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Though there is an approach in which you can include title names so that they appear automatically each time you generate the index:

https://creativepro.com/files/kahrel/indesign/index-fixes-multiple-indexes.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There may be a more automated option, but one way would be to go into each entry and add a key plus the entry in the Sort By box. This will cause the entrys to group first by the key, and then by the entry, so that the languages stay separated in the index. It would be tedious, but will get the job done if you don't find an easier option. Another down side is that you would have to add the alphabetical headers separately, as ID will list them by the Sort By name. 

Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 8.55.37 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only for really lazy guys! …

E.g., as shown in the screenshots, I've here previously applied a specific char style to identify each index (until 4 indexes).

However note there're 4 ways to play the game:

• manually, entry per entry: the user selects the right index in the Script UI, then selects text and clicks on "New Entry". A specific char style could be applied in the same time by the Script if this adding is chosen in the tab "by char style".

3_UI.png

• by list(s),

• by char style(s)

• by Grep(s).

1_Before_Script.png

Now, I just need to "update all indexes"! I mean just 1 click (and some seconds) on the corresponding button of the Script UI to create Indesign all the 4 Index entries and generate the 4 indexes (the fourth one is on the following page: I've used here one single story for the sample).

… It's done!

2a_After_Script.png

I can quit the Script now (the color controls disappear):

2b_After_Script.png

… For fun, I've exported the ID file to reflowable epub, just to see the result (never tested until now):

4_Epub_Reflowable_On_iBooks.png

Cool!

Of course, the Script doesn't use the tricks given by Peter and Susan. It just creates basic entries:

5_Entry.png

There're other nice features as just "remove a specific index", just "update a specific index", "place each index in a specific story", use the "live update" "staying on the current spread", …

Happy New Year To All!

(^/)  The Jedi

[paid script in beta (but already workable) version]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, It was exactly what I was looking for. Believe me, this information will help me a lot. Thank you to each and every one of you for your interest and concern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How and where can I get fridnge multiple indexes 0734 v1 version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't help on the indexing — the last multi-index book I did was in FrameMaker, which I believe is like InDesign in that FM can do any number of indexes, while ID can do any number of TOCs. I'm just wondering if ID's cross reference feature, which is very flexible, might be a simpler option for multiple index options.

As for EPUB, you might want to read this post.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines