• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make Print PDF the default when exporting

New Here ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to know if it is possible to make Print PDF the default choice when exporting to a PDF. I occasionally get a file that defaults to Interactive PDF when exporting to PDF. Any help would be appreciated.

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As someone who frequently exports to several formats in a given session, I have found the stability of the selection to be maddeningly erratic. I can export to reflowable EPUB five times in a row, and then, clicking in a hurry, I am looking at the Print PDF export screen. Or vice versa.

If there's a way to lock exports on a particular option, session to session and short of anything but a deliberate change of setting, I'd love to know it. That, or being able to "weed" the selection list of options I never use. (I mean, has anyone exported to EPS in the last five years? or TXT?)

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it does not stick, which is truely problem, go to PDF presets that will open the Export PDF dialog directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an option, but one that's three menu levels down with no keyboard shortcut.

If you only do an export occasionally, none of this really matters. But it's not too uncommon to do exports repeatedly as you fine-tune a document and its final form. Especially with EPUB, which does not have this alternative menu path.

The setting is definitely somewhere between persistent (most of the time) and not (often enough to be annoying). If it were one or the other, it might be more tolerable. But suddenly finding myself generating an FXL EPUB or PDF when I have exported ten Reflowable EPUBs in the last few minutes is one of those glitches that drives me batty. 🙂

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my experience, the PDF settings are stuck with the last save, including the file name. 

If you create your InDesign file and then save it. Choose File>Export>PDF and set your settings. 

You'll notice that the InDesign file needs to be saved again. 

If you save it again - those PDF settings are now 'embeded' with the file.

I don't know why it works like this. As I have a workflow where my InDesign file modification date has to be earlier than the exported PDF. That is, I can't have a PDF with modification date of 26/02/2022 6:33 and an InDesign file 26/02/2022 6:34 - it has to be the other way around, the InDesign file has to be earlier than the PDF.

It's annoying, I wish there was way to pre-tell InDesign what PDF settings you're using for the file as part of the Document setup - along with the Export name for the file. 

Anyway - I'm sure my workflow is unique so that wouldn't suit everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2022 Feb 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @defaultakqkjxfzc7bi , it is possible to force the PDF type dialog via scripting. This would always open the Print PDF dialog—you could assign it a key command:

var f = Folder.selectDialog("Save Print PDF");
if (f != null) {
	var n = app.activeDocument.name.replace(/\.[^\.]+$/, '');
    app.activeDocument.exportFile(ExportFormat.PDF_TYPE, File(f + "/" + n + ".pdf"), true)
} 

It uses the document name for the PDF. This would be for interactive:

var f = Folder.selectDialog("Save PDF");
if (f != null) {
	var n = app.activeDocument.name.replace(/\.[^\.]+$/, '');
    app.activeDocument.exportFile(ExportFormat.INTERACTIVE_PDF, File(f + "/" + n + ".pdf"), true)
} 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines