• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make "Section Break" page in Indesign?

New Here ,
Sep 11, 2023 Sep 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm currently working on a project in Adobe InDesign, and I've encountered a challenge that I could use some assistance with. I'm trying to create a document that includes both landscape and portrait page layouts, with the ability to switch between them as needed within the document.

I've tried following the usual steps for creating master pages and applying them to pages, but I couldn't find a specific "Section Break" option as seen in some other software like Microsoft Word. This has left me a bit confused about how to effectively manage the page orientation changes within my document.

Could someone please provide guidance on how to achieve this mixed landscape and portrait page layout in Adobe InDesign? Any tips, tricks, or alternatve methods would be greatly appreciated. I`m adding screenshot for more clarity. I want page 20 to be portrait separetly and page 21 below it 

Screenshot_28.png

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Performance , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2023 Sep 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Sections are created in the page panel. Select a page and in the page panel men go to Numbering and Section Options.
  2. But if you want to print the project, I would strongly recomment NOT to turn pages, it is better to turn the spread view in the same Menu > Page Attributes > Turn Spreads > …
  3. If it is for screen view, you can turn spreads without problems. Take the Page Tool, and in the Control or Property Panel you find an icon to change between vertical or landscape

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2024 Aug 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to add: Is there any plug-in or something that would give us a genuine Section Break marker as we have in MS Word? It is annoying to have this only in the page panel – when text flows differently we have to fix the section breaks manually. This takes time and calls for errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A section is indeed defined in the page panel. 
But what you really need are breaks. Those you find in the paragraph options and better to set up them in the paragraph styles in the keep options section. 
section breaks in the sense of MS Word don't exist. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you need sections for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To renumber footnotes. 

Restart Numbering Every: Section
The options are only Page, Spread and Section and that doesn’t cover it …
I have a book with multiple chapters and customer wishes for this system. I will have to check and recheck the page panel markers when the text reflows.
I am not the only one with this issue, I believe.
Best
Eyjolfur

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chapters in a book are per definition single INDD files, sampled togethr in an INDB book file. The text variable in lists are chapters and those are defined by INDD files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

True InDesign chapter numbering is done with separate files per chapter and organized in a Book file. You can still use "chapter" numbering in a single file, but you would not use the Chapter marker--it would just be the Level 1 number. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would create your "section break" in the Keep Options section of the paragraph style by starting the page on the next page, left page, or right page. 

You can be more animated with a third-party addon that applies parent pages based on paragraph styles.

https://www.id-extras.com/products/mastermatic/

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines