• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to minimize the amount of manual interaction in InDesign?

Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking for a workflow suggestion for a directory listing. I would like to either use a datamerge, or prepare data for import, (knowing there would be data manipulation required in either process). Below is basic sample data of what I am provided and finished layout. Please keep in mind there are many other columns of data including address, web, email, affliation icons, etc.

The basic sample data (spreadsheet) is like this:

Company Contact Country
ABC Company Name 1 USA
ABC Company Name 2 USA
Incorporated Name 3 Canada
Incorporated Name 4 Canada
Incorporated Name 5 Canada

The finished layout will look this:

ABC Company
USA

Name 1

Name 2

Incorporated
Canada

Name 3

Name 4

Name 5

Open to any workflow suggestions that would minimize manipulation, and hopefully some automation.

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance , Print , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Either complete overhaul of the spreadsheet - or custom script.

Right now - DataMerge won't be able to process this data as the information for a "single" record is in a multiple lines. 

▒► ID-Tasker / ID-Tasker Server - work smart not hard ◄▒

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would just leave subsequent Company and Country fields blank, export your spreadsheet out as a tab-delimted txt, flow it and replace tabs with returns, then find replace blank lines with nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But Country should be before Contact as well? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, flip the columns. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How will you determine where new "record" starts??

Ok, got your idea - but what with formatting - styles? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Concat some tags to the startinng Company/Country, and FR to style after import: 
Screen Shot 2023-01-04 at 2.17.54 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

😉 then why not just import the table, style columns and convert to text with the same separator - enter 😉 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, that's another way to do it that doesn't require an overhaul of the spreadsheet or a custom script. But I hate tables, so there's that 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But your way leaves text without formatting with a lot of manual work - so I don't think your private preferences matter 😉

What matters is the simplest way for the OP to achieve the goal... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Friend, FYI, your propensity for always believing you are right and others are wrong is off-putting to others trying to help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

??? At which point I'm claiming that my way is the only way?? 

It's you who suggested wrong solution - just because you don't like tables?? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My solution led to your solution. Your initial solution was "completely overhaul the spreadsheet or custom script", which we now know is wrong. I was half-joking about tables, but said your solution worked just fine too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just pointing out that your personal preference doesn't matter - the same as mine - adding a smile - it's you who took it way too much personally...

And why do you assume that my 1st suggestion is wrong? OP have not confirmed if your solution will fit his needs??

Also, from the original post:

Please keep in mind there are many other columns of data including address, web, email, affliation icons, etc.

So why are you assuming that EVERYTHING will be in one column?? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And your idea to "leave subsequent Company and Country fields blank" - would require the same amount of work as doing the "proper" database - manually or using Excel macro or script in the InDesign - and then you have much greater functionality...

So you've proved my point anyway 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Loic's answer is probably right then. Not the first thread I've seen where you have to have the final word. But we'll leave it at that. Cheers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what is your problem ... 

Loic's answer COULD be right - but we don't know OP's budget, how often he will need to do it, how many changes, finall layout, etc. - so why are you drawing the conclusion? 

I'm pretty sure it's a place where we can discuss solutions to the problems - at no point in time I've ever claimed that any of my ideas are "the only one" - if anyone have a better one - then I'm happy to learn something new.

So me asking "why" - in order to learn something new and also let others to learn something new - is wrong? Is it a policy here not to ask too many questions - or it's just you having some kind a grudge against me ??

Or really others think the same?? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guess I'm just having a bad day, but your response to my tables comment, smiley face or not, left a sour taste. Sorry I responded the way I did. No hard feelings. Cheers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem, I sometimes also have a bad day - especially last few months - so we are good. Wish you a better day tomorrow. Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From my experience, while everything can be scripted by all means, mounting structured documents is probably best achieved with commercial plugins such as EasyCatalog or InCatalog. I know better the former and I think that the money you may want to save with a script will be widely saved with those products 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't think such expensive tools are really needed to do this simple thing 😉 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Point is, mounting catalogs and directories often require more than simple tricks. IMHO, for non-developers, it's sometimes more comfortable and invest-prone in the long-term. But I do agree, not only it's my personal opinion and yes as I said, scripting can do much 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I would like to perform this task with the application set that I have, I could consider a commercial plugin. I hope you don't mind a few questions regarding EasyCatalog and InCatalog.

• I need to perform a lot of additional data cleanup, like consistent phone format, remove "www." from website, Change UPPER case to Sentence case, etc., can the plugins perform these functions?
  • Can the plugins do conditional formatting, like change the color of a company name whether the company is US or International?
  • How well do the plugins handle empty records, fields and lines? Indesign datamerge can remove blank lines, but leaves tags behind.

TIA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It just took me 10 min. to achieve the initial question with 5 simple Grep Find/Replace.

... Envoyer la suite et Bonne Année à Tous !  😉

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, initial example is piece of cake - but there is more to process. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines