Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to open a Microsoft Publisher file in InDesign

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2019 Aug 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

Can I export from publisher into an editable Adobe InDesign document?

TIA

{Renamed by MOD}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there is not direct path that will keep everything that was made on the file. As in all of the styles will be lost. it will give things genetic games in the styles panel, but you will have to rename and check.

the .pdf to indesign solution offered will bring on a lot of redo work since a .pdf does not retain any of the styles. so you will find yourself having to name things again, all of the graphics will be embedded and they will be at the resolution selected per the .pdf settings.

i have used the .pdf to indesign converter mentioned above. i myself found it good for a since page thing. if you have a layout with many pages i went with making the layout myself since there will be a lot fo fix and clean and might as well make a good clean file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jonathan, thanks for your feedback. Just to be clear and fair, the PDF2DTP conversion of multi-page PDFs into InDesign can vary from one PDF to another. Meaning, some PDFs, like those professionally created in InDesign or other layout tools, can convert very well. If there are tables with "illegal" or non-standard styling or functions, or custom plugins or the likes, yes, then the conversion can get trickier.

In general though, PDF2DTP has proven to be generally better than starting from scratch. Just check out some of the recent video reviews of PDF2DTP as a starter. And as always, we encourage those who own PDF2DTP to send us in any odd-ball PDFs that they feel should convert better to our Support Line.

One customer recently called PDF2DTP their, "secret weapon."

Friendly Regards,
David DillingMarkzware

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 08, 2019 Aug 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brooke,

Thanks for reaching out. I understand you are trying to open a Publisher file in InDesign. In addition to the suggestions shared above, you can also refer to this similar discussion: Converting Publisher files to InDesign

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2019 Aug 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@OP:

Do you mean Microsoft Publisher or Serif's Affinity Publisher? The two are different products that both perform page layout.

In short, it can't be done in ID off-the-shelf, but using a plug-in such as Markzware's Affnity to ID converter mentioned by David Dilling in his post. If this is a Microsoft Publisher file, then if you are able to obtain a PDF of the Publisher file, you could then use another of Markzware's plug-ins that is mentioned within this thread, or Recosoft's PDF2ID plug-in.

Strangely, back in the times of Adobe PageMaker, there was a Publisher to PageMaker converter. Markzware used to also make a plug-in that would convert Publisher to ID but it has been discontinued.

There is a wishlist item if you would like to see this as a feature: Option to open or otherwise import/place Microsoft Publisher files directly. – Adobe InDesign Feedba...

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2019 Aug 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thought with MS Publisher. Open the file, save as Word and then place that in ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Word format from Publisher is next to useless, it will only export text and on top of that in different orden that the text flow in PUB. Might be used for proof-reading the text, but barely...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2019 Sep 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned, there is no direct built-in way these days, but there are a few online services that can do that for you. I have used one for a recent file and it was completely effective and cost only $50 for the one conversion. That gave a workable ID file and all the graphics extracted and relinked. If you still need to do what you need to do, shoot me a message and I will let you where i had it done online. (I don't want to seem like I am endorsing any particular company by mentioning them here)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2019 Sep 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

interested in your link, thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

interested in the link

please and thank you --

My .pub file is from 2006 Microsoft Publisher -- I want to extract some photos from it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless someone pushed MS Publisher to its limits, it's probably faster, and cheaper even in terms of ROI, to just rebuild the document in InDesign. A Word export or the like for any content over a few hundred words as a starting point, and perhaps a day or two's work. It's very unlikely a conversion is going to be press- or release-ready... unless the PUB doc is quite simple, in which case you're back around to it being that much easier to rebuild.

My $0.02, anyway.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're a Mac user, I'm told that FileJuicer can extract images from MS Publisher files. Strictly hearsay, never used it myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Joel Cherney : Oooh.. I just tried out the watermarked demo... Not as good as it could be, but I was able to extract some images from an old Pub file, not to mention an old sample PageMaker file with embedded (not linked) images. Some of the images were corrupted, depending on their original format (TIFF seemed particularlly affected) or didn't export at all, but the ones that worked did come through in full resolution, albeit with generic file names. Still, for the price, might be worth looking at if the sole goal is to get the images from these files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

not to mention an old sample PageMaker file with embedded (not linked) images.

Well! Didn't expect to hear that. Absolutely worth remembering, though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DOCX file is in fact ZIPed package - maybe the same is with PUB files? 

Try to add ".zip" at the end - maybe it will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think so. The history of Publisher and .PUB files is convoluted and I don't think it was ever given the XML/archive structure of the three main tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re: XML

Nope, it did not, and certainly not in 2006

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Markzware has a file conversion service Publisher > InDesign. Check on their site under "Support > File Conversion" and scroll down the page... you will see the formats they support.

But, if you have the ability to make a high-res PDF from your Publisher file now, save yourself the trouble and make one and then extract the images from that in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the OP has Publisher, I'd opt for using it for any update, or as a dissection tool to get all the useful parts out for an ID rebuild.

Most conversions are a lot of work, not-negligible in cost, and need massaging to get to a useful final form in a new app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. Although if it comes down to "Time = Money", I was able to save several hours over rebuilding a clients' massive Publisher project by spending $50 to have it converted which got me 75% there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll certainly bow to your experience on conversions and won't disagree. Not knowing much of anything of the background for the OP's requiest — size and complexity, schedule, budget, etc. — it's best to say there are a choice of workflows for a process like this, and simply "opening a PUB file in ID" may not cover all the bases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"it's best to say there are a choice of workflows for a process like this"

Indeed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Susan26647278byy6 . Do you still have Publisher installed somewhere? You can use it's built in "Pack and Go" to export the embedded images.

Failing that, If it's just one file, I do have Publisher around, so I could try do it for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines