• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to prevent Adobe software stealing focus in Windows 10? - LOCKED

Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2015 Nov 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every Adobe app (InDesign, Photoshop...) is stealing the focus from other application a several times. This behaviour is annoying as well as useless. How to stop this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 108 Replies 108
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2017 Oct 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure how much RAM you have on your system BobLevine, but a lot of users don't have the luxury resources to keep Adobe software open in the background while using other software - so yeah, we're forced to close it and open it several times a day.

For me personally 16 GB of RAM and 20 of GB free space is not enough if I want to also use a browser and have some PDF documents open at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign does not use that much in the way of resources that you should be closing it just to use something else. Just minimize it.

Closing it just to do something is a horribly inefficient way to work and if you’re going to do it any way, what’s another five or six seconds?

Again, I’m not saying it’s not annoying, but I am questioning the need to close InDesign.

As for you…there’s something horribly wrong with your system. When this thread started I was using a five year old machine with 16GB of RAM with no problem running ID, PS and Illy along with browsers and MS Office.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's time to move to a Macintosh. No "stealing focus" problem there. (ducking and running)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha;)

The last update seems to have fixed the problem for me [Photoshop 19.0.1 @ Windows 10]. Has anyone else noticed it too? Can't verify with InDesign, but I've tested on two computers, and it works (at least for me).

Really appreciated Adobe!:) Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the problem finally seems to be solved, or at least mitigated! Sometimes Photoshop steals focus on startup, but only one time and not every other second. It is much better now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that most computer users today don't really understand memory usage with modern operating systems!

Both Windows and MacOS are virtual memory operating systems. That means that if let's say InDesign was minimized and not doing anything, the real memory it was using is paged to disk and the memory is available for other processes. Thus, if you have 16GB of actual memory installed, you could have programs running that are using many times that 16GB. As applications need more memory when active, they take physical blocks of memory used by other applications that are not as active at the time (their memory blocks paged to disk and brought back when needed when such applications are active again).

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the point being made to you is that you aren't useful in this thread, Bob.

They're not looking for you to give a different answer. They're looking for you to stay far away from this thread until you have something of value to add. Until then, you're simply coming in to tell people that their problems aren't problems and help isn't coming. That's a pretty lame and useless thing to do. Can we please create the sort of discussion that tries to advance towards, at the very least, workarounds to these problems?[

The top answer here is of potential use for Windows users: [SOLVED] Program to prevent any Windows window from taking precedence/focus? - Spiceworks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same to me, since years! All of the Adobe CC Apps stealing focus multiple times when they are loading! on every computer i use (Win7, Win 8.1).

I switch to the previous app while loading -> Photoshop stealing focus.

Ohh, Photoshop has finished loading, now i can bring PS to the background and it stays there.

I asume it is because of adobe thinks they are soooooo IMPOOORTANT!

This annoys me that much! My blood pressure raises every time i start an adobe app. No other app from other developers is acting like that. Not Maya, not Unity, not Nuke, not Visual Studio.

They open in the BACKGROUND, when i switch to another app while they are loading, exactly how it is designated by the OS!

I start them, they get focus and showing the loading picture, but then, when i switch to another app while loading, they STAY in the background!

And no, this is not a small issue for me as a user. This is annoying as hell! For me, this really diminishs the image of Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding my 3 cents (adjusted for inflation).

Windows 7 (I hate Win10), same issue with DreamWeaver, PhotoShop, and Lightroom.

Same behavior - not only takes forever to load, but keeps popping up multiple times (DW once, LR 3 times).

There's no error messages or decisions to be made - it's just Adobe being Important As F**k and showing the splash screen. I DON'T CARE WHO WORKED ON THE DEVELOPMENT TEAM FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

Minimizing it doesn't work.

And yeah, since one of the recent updates, LR has become an absolute memory & CPU hog, so no, I can't afford to keep it open in the background "just in case", it has a noticeable impact on overall performance. (This didn't happen with previous versions... thanks Adobe!).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines