• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to print a specific spread in the booklet format?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2023 Jun 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I designed a book and printed it using the booklet function and everything printed great. I am using a Mac and chose the 2 up perfect bound style with 16 page signatures. When orgaznizing the signatures I accidentally damaged  two spreads and I want to reprint those spreads without having to reprint the entire book. 

The problem I have is that the book/document in its editable form is not in booklet form so I can't just select a spread and print it because the page numbers are just sequential. They are not in booklet order. When I go to print in booklet I can see the spreads I want to print in the preview but there is no option to just print a solo spread. The range button is kind of confusing because there are no options for spreads or anything and if I put page numbes in it only prints individual page numbers, not the spreads that I need to fit into the booklet.

So, how do I print select spreads in booklet form? Any help would be appreciated. I'm sure there is a way, but I can't figure it out. 

Thank you!

TOPICS
How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 17, 2023 Jun 17, 2023

Thank you for this! This will help a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might consider avoiding printing from InDesign. Instead, export a PDF and print from Acrobat. Acrobat has bookletting features.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can print a select range within Print Booklet. Keep in mind the value you enter relates to spreads. My example is a 16 page booklet, and 3 will print the 14-3 spread.

Edit: the range relates to pages, not spreads. In this example, I need to enter 3,14 to print the third spread.

printbooklet.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but mine is set up to print pages for some reason. For example, I need spread 87 to print, but if I put 87 in the range box, it just prints page 87 by itself on a page. Is there a way in preferences maybe to alter the range box?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed you have Perfect Bound selected as the booklet type, is this the method that you need? As opposed to 2up Saddlestitch?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I can't remember why, but the 2-up perfect bound is what worked for me. Maybe because I was able to select signature size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Saddle stitch was just one big booklet. I needed smaller signatures since I am hand binding the book and it has almost 200 pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Perfect Bound method, I am unable to select a range.

My suggestion would be to export the pages (single page PDF) that you need to reprint, and compose a new printer spread document, not using print booklet function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. Is there a way to export my document into a PDF that is in the booklet format?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested and the saddlestitch method will not allow a range.

So with that said, my suggestion is export PDF of all the necessary pages that you need for the reprint. You said page 87, so you would need 73, 74, 87 and 88. Then create a new 2 page Indesign document that is the size of a printer spread, placing each PDF to create 88-73 and 74-87, then print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stop the Press! In print booklet, you are specifying the pages, not the spread for the range. In my early example, I selected 3 in range with the expectation that this would print the third spread. I actually need to enter 3, 14 or if I need the backup as well, 3,4,13,14. This works for perfect bound and saddlestitch. And you if you were to use Acrobat's booklet feature, you would enter pages for a range the same way.

Brian, try entering 73, 74, 87, 88 into your range and see if this works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's correct. That is why I was confused that it worked for you because I know it prints pages and not spreads. To clarify I needed spread 77 to print, which for me is pages 166 and 163. If I enter 166,163 into the range, it only prints out page 166 by itself and then page 163 by itself on two different pages. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To fix this, I just duplicated my book, delted all the spreads but two and copy and pasted the text from the pages I need, changed the page numbers and printed. It worked, but what a pain in the ass. It would be nice if Adobe was listening and would put a little box in this screenshot that says "Print this spread only."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2023 Jun 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this! This will help a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I enter 166,163 into the range, it only prints out page 166 by itself and then page 163 by itself on two different pages.

Hi @brianv91022268 , I’m seeing the same—entering a comma delimited page range for the printer spread adds blank pages. Also, Acrobat’s Booklet feature does not include a perfect binding option.

You are welcome to try this imposition script, which Exports imposed printer spreads for either saddle-stitch or perfect binding to PDF. Using the script you will have the option to print individual spreads from the exported PDF.

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/3bfdb004-f188-4f3d-5904-d82dd8f8e2d1

Dialog:

Screen Shot 8.png

Result

Screen Shot 9.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are quite a few imposition scripts floating around for InDesign. I have two very old ones that still work from Dave Saunders for two-up saddle stitch, and I'm sure there are others for perfect bound. You can also, of course just export your file normally to PDF and place any pages you like into spreads in a new .indd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2023 Jun 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Peter, FWIW I wrote my script to simply imitate the ID Print Booklet feature, but allow a color managed PDF Export. The script includes Creep, Prefect Binding, and Space Between Pages options, which Acrobat’s Booklet feature doesn’t have. Like Print Booklet it (or any other script solution) should only be used for in-house printing and not for sending imposed pages to a commercial printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines